Health Tip: Treating Chapped Lips
-- Chapped lips often occur throughout winter, but there are things you can do to prevent them, the Mayo Clinic says.
Here are the clinic's suggestions:
- Before you go outside in cold weather, apply a lubricating lip cream or balm. Then cover your lips with a scarf. Reapply the balm as needed.
- Do not lick your lips. Saliva evaporates quickly, leaving lips drier than before you licked them.
- Drink plenty of fluids, and moisten the indoor air with a humidifier.
- Avoid contact with irritants or allergens, such as fragrances or dyes, in cosmetics and skin care products.
- Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth can cause your lips to dry out.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: December 2018
More News Resources
- FDA Medwatch Drug Alerts
- Daily MedNews
- News for Health Professionals
- New Drug Approvals
- New Drug Applications
- Drug Shortages
- Clinical Trial Results
- Generic Drug Approvals
- Monthly Update Archive
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Whatever your topic of interest, subscribe to our newsletters to get the best of Drugs.com in your inbox.