Generic Name: brimonidine topical (bri MON i deen TOP i kal)
Brand Name: Mirvaso
What is brimonidine topical?
Brimonidine works by narrowing blood vessels.
Brimonidine topical (for the skin) is used to treat facial rosacea (enlarged facial blood vessels) in adults.
Brimonidine topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about brimonidine topical?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using brimonidine topical?
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to brimonidine.
To make sure brimonidine topical is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
coronary artery disease or circulation problems;
heart disease or a blood vessel disorder;
Raynaud's syndrome (numbness or cold feeling in your hands or feet);
low blood pressure;
an autoimmune disorder called Sjögren's syndrome;
a build-up of scar tissue on your skin (scleroderma);
if you plan to have laser surgery; or
if you take a heart or blood pressure medication.
It is not known whether this medicine will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
It is not known whether brimonidine topical passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
How should I use brimonidine topical?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Use brimonidine topical once per day, unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
Apply a pea-sized amount of this medicine to each affected area of the face (forehead, nose, chin, and each cheek). Try not to get any of the medicine near your eyes or on your lips.
Do not use this medicine on open wounds or on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, or irritated skin.
Wash your hands after applying this medicine.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Keep this medicine out of the reach of children. Brimonidine topical can cause serious medical problems in a child who accidentally swallows the medicine. Seek emergency medical attention if this happens.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of brimonidine topical is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using brimonidine topical?
Do not take by mouth. Brimonidine topical is for use only on the skin of your face. Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes or mouth.
Brimonidine topical side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using brimonidine topical and call your doctor at once if you have:
dizziness or feeling light-headed;
slow heartbeats; or
severe skin redness, burning, or other irritation.
Common side effects may include:
mild skin redness or burning;
flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling); or
pale or lighter skin where the medicine was applied.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect brimonidine topical?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied brimonidine. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Mirvaso (brimonidine topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 85 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about brimonidine topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 2.01.
Last reviewed: September 19, 2016
Date modified: June 01, 2017