Embrel is a common misspelling of Enbrel (etanercept).
What is Enbrel (Embrel)?
Enbrel (Embrel) is a type of protein called a tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitor. It works by blocking the action of TNF, a substance in the body that causes swelling and painful, swollen joints and raised, thick, red, scaly patches on the skin.
Enbrel (Embrel) is used to relieve the symptoms and slow the progress of moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis. Enbrel (Embrel) is also prescribed to relieve the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis. Prescribed alone, Enbrel (Embrel) is also used for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis when other drugs have failed.
Enbrel (Embrel) is also used to reduce the symptoms of active ankylosing spondylitis, an inflammatory condition that results in stiffness and immobility and can sometimes cause joints and bones to fuse together.
In addition, Enbrel (Embrel) is used to treat chronic, moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis, a condition where the skin is red and covered with silvery scales and inflammation (patches of round or oval red plaques that itch or burn).
Enbrel (Embrel) may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor right away if you notice signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat; unusual nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea; fast heartbeat; decreased mental alertness; rapid breathing; new or worsening cough; shortness of breath; chest pain or discomfort; swelling of the lymph nodes; or general feeling of being unwell.
Click for more information on Embrel (Enbrel)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- Can Enbrel be taken with antibiotics?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- How long does it take for Enbrel to work?
- How many biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- Do Enbrel injections hurt?
- How long can Enbrel be left unrefrigerated?
- How and where do you inject Enbrel?
- Can you take Enbrel with a cold?
- What is the difference between Erelzi and Enbrel?