Amoxicillan is a common misspelling of amoxicillin.
What is amoxicillin (amoxicillan)?
Amoxicillin (amoxicillan) is a penicillin antibiotic used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections, including: gonorrhea, middle ear infections, skin infections, upper and lower respiratory tract infections, and infections of the genital and urinary tract. Amoxicillin (amoxicillan) is also used in combination with other drugs such as Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid (lansoprazole), and/or Biaxin (clarithromycin) to treat duodenal ulcers caused by H. pylori bacteria (ulcers in the wall of the small intestine).
Do not use amoxicillin (amoxicillan) if you are allergic to any ingredient in this medicine or other penicillin antibiotics (eg, ampicillin) or if you have recently received or will be receiving live oral typhoid vaccine.
Amoxicillin (amoxicillan) only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
Be sure to use amoxicillin (amoxicillan) for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
Click for more information on Amoxicillan (amoxicillin)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- Can penicillin treat chlamydia?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking amoxicillin?
- What is the normal daily dose of 500mg amoxicillin capsules for chest infections?
- Can amoxicillin be used to treat a bacterial vaginitis infection?
- What is the recommended dosage of amoxicillin for a 14 year old child?
- I have a sinus Infection. How often should I take 500mg amoxicillin?
- How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
- Side effects - can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin clavulanate?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- Can you drink alcohol with antibiotics (amoxicillin)?
- Amoxicillin - does it have sulfa or penicillin in it?
- If I can not take penicillin, is amoxicillin the same or do I need to avoid it?
- Are there any foods I should avoid while taking amoxicillin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Can you take antibiotics while pregnant?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?