Daily MedNews - April 2017
April 1, 2017
April 2, 2017
April 3, 2017
- Health Tip: Overcoming Dental Anxiety
- Health Tip: Buying Eggs
- Health Highlights: April 3, 2017
- Breast Cancer 'Immunotherapy' Helps Some With Tough-to-Treat Disease
- Most U.S. Kids Who Die From Flu Are Unvaccinated
- Vaccinating Pregnant Moms Protects Babies From Whooping Cough
- Defect Prompts Mylan to Recall Some Epipens
- Stress Buster
- 'Electric Cap' Might Help Fight a Deadly Brain Tumor
- Far Fewer Kids Are Dying Worldwide, but Gains Are Uneven
- Obesity in Early Pregnancy May Raise Child's Risk of Epilepsy
- Guys, a Good Night's Sleep Might Save Your Life
- For Firefighters, Another Danger: The Heart
- Can Daily Low-Dose Aspirin Lower Cancer Death Risk?
- Keys to Heart Disease Care: Communication and Trust
- Gene Changes May Put Childhood Cancer Survivors at Risk
- As Weight Goes Up, So Does Death Risk
- Race Plays Role in Heart, Diabetes Risk, Even at Normal Weight
April 4, 2017
- Health Tip: Poison-Proof Your Bathroom
- Health Tip: Understanding Angina
- Health Highlights: April 4, 2017
- Infections More Common in People With Schizophrenia
- Opdivo (Nivolumab) Offers Some Hope for a Deadly Lung Cancer
- Scientists Probe Zika's Path to the Fetus
- White House, GOP Lawmakers Revisit Health Care Bill
- What's the 'SuperAgers' Mental Secret?
- Study Links Celiac Disease, Anorexia
- Are There Two Forms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Bed Bugs' Ancestors Were Creeping Near People 11,000 Years Ago
- Global Warming Could Raise Temps to Levels Not Seen for 420M Years: Study
- Birth Defects Strike 1 in 10 U.S. Pregnancies Affected by Zika
- High Thyroid Hormone Levels Tied to Stiffer Arteries
- EpiPen Out-of-Pocket Costs More Than Doubled Over Decade
- Cats Absorb Flame Retardants -- Likely That Children Do Too
- Prolonged Antibiotic Use Tied to Precancerous Colon Growths
April 5, 2017
- Health Tip: Too Much Exercise Isn't Good Either
- Health Tip: Add Flavor to Fruit and Veggies
- 'Cancer Profile' Is Changing for Americans With HIV
- The Highs and Lows of Teens' Instagram Use
- Health Highlights: April 5, 2017
- Good Sleep Does Get Tougher With Age
- Surgery May Be Best for Advanced Melanoma
- Hollywood Villains Are No Dermatologist's Friend
- Many Disabled Adults Aren't Screened for Colon Cancer: Study
- High-Dose Vitamin D Failed to Curb Heart Disease in Study
- Fitness, Not Fat, Is Key to Post-Stroke Recovery
- Can Stem Cell 'Patch' Help Heart Failure?
- 'Yo-Yo' Dieting Does No Favors for Your Heart
- Smoking May Raise Risk of Complications After Joint Surgery
- Skin's Bacterial 'Balance' May Help Trigger Acne
- Droughts Tied to Climate Change Could Bring Health Risks for Seniors
April 6, 2017
- Health Tip: Is Your Child Sleeping Enough?
- Health Tip: Asthma and Air Pollution
- 4 in 10 U.S. Adults Under 60 Carry HPV
- 'Right-to-Try' Laws: A Patient's Best Last Chance or False Hope?
- Who Really Needs Blood Pressure, Cholesterol Meds?
- Health Highlights: April 6, 2017
- For Some, Too Much Sweat Takes Emotional Toll
- When Do Plumped-Up Lips Become 'Too Much'?
- FDA OKs 1st At-Home Genetic Tests for 10 Disorders
- A Surprising Culprit Behind Celiac Disease?
- Fewer Than 1,000 Used Oregon's Right-to-Die Law by 2015
- FDA Approves First Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Risk Tests
- 'Surprise' Designer Drugs Detected in NYC Hair Samples
- Family History May Magnify Your Hangover
- Syphilis Rates Spike Among U.S. Gay, Bisexual Men: CDC
- Men More Prone to Severe Psoriasis: Study
- Can Smog Raise Breast Cancer Risk?
April 7, 2017
- Health Tip: Eat Healthy After Radiation Therapy
- Health Tip: Freezing Food
- Health Highlights: April 7, 2017
- U.S. Blood Supply Safe From Zika Virus, Officials Say
- Multivitamins May Not Help Men's Hearts, Even When Diet Is Poor
- Who Really Needs All Those Heart Tests?
- FDA Approves Hep C Drugs for Kids 12 and Older
- Music May Soothe the 'Savage Beast' of Post-Op Pain
- Rehab Services Lacking in States Hit Hard by Opioids
- Preparing for Anesthesia: 5 Tips You Should Know
- City Snow May Be Fouled by Pollution From Cars
- Is Surgery Always Necessary for Gallstones?
- From Beethoven to Bieber, Music Doesn't Move Chimps
- Outdoor Play May Foster Little Environmentalists
- How to Protect Yourself From Air Pollution
April 8, 2017
April 9, 2017
April 10, 2017
- Health Tip: Skate Safely
- Muppet With Autism Makes Her 'Sesame Street' Debut
- Health Tip: Transitioning Toddlers to One Nap
- Health Highlights: April 10, 2017
- Obesity May Make Rheumatoid Arthritis Tough to Spot, Track
- Stress Buster
- Xanax, Valium May Boost Pneumonia Risk in Alzheimer's Patients
- Race May Play Role in Obese Teens' Blood Pressure
- When Families Lack Insurance, Kids' Dental Woes Rise
- Bedbugs Building Resistance to More Insecticides
- Mammogram Guidelines Have Changed, But Are Doctors Listening?
- More Younger Americans Are Suffering Strokes: Study
- Past Psychiatric Ills Don't Raise Alzheimer's Risk: Study
- Taller, Bigger Women May Face Irregular Heartbeat Risk
- These 5 Life Skills Can Boost Your Odds of Well-Being
- Botox May Help Ease 'Burning Mouth' Syndrome
- Don't Bank on Heart-Rate Accuracy From Your Activity Tracker
- Club Drug 'Poppers' May Pose Eye Dangers
- The Grayer His Hair, the Higher His Heart Risk?
April 11, 2017
- Health Tip: Recognizing Symptoms of Lactose Intolerance
- Health Tip: Should You Be Tested for Kidney Disease?
- Health Highlights: April 11, 2017
- Many Americans Don't Know How to Handle High Cholesterol
- 'Video Feedback' Program Might Help Treat Autism in Babies
- Household Flame Retardants Tied to Thyroid Cancer Risk
- 1 in 3 Teens With Autism Licensed to Drive, Study Finds
- Updated Prostate Cancer Test Guidelines Now Stress Patient Choice
- Silk Clothes Won't Soothe Eczema's Itch
- Chiropractors Not Magicians When It Comes to Chronic Back Pain
- A Healthy Middle-Aged Heart May Protect Your Brain Later
- Many Docs Don't Discuss Prostate Cancer Screening Pros and Cons
- Nurse! What's Taking So Long?
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Ease Tourette 'Tics'
- Breast-Feeding Success Hinges on Support for Mom, Baby
- Is 'Desktop Medicine' Chipping Away at Patient Care?
April 12, 2017
- Health Tip: Teaching Your Child Table Manners
- Health Tip: When to Worry About Neck Pain
- Health Highlights: April 12, 2017
- Exercisers May Have Better Shot of Surviving Heart Attack
- Chemicals Found in Many U.S. Streams: Study
- Americans Are Spending Billions Nipping and Tucking
- First Drug for Tardive Dyskinesia, Ingrezza (valbenazine), Approved
- Trans Fat Bans May Have Cut Heart Attack, Stroke Rate
- Not All Mosquitoes Need Standing Water to Breed: Study
- Scientists Extend Lives of Mice With ALS
- FDA Warns Against Bogus Autism 'Cures'
- Many Opioid Addictions Surface After Surgery, Study Finds
- A Healthier Weight May Mean Fewer Migraines
- Misunderstood Gene Tests May Lead to Unnecessary Mastectomies
- Do Marathons' Road Closures Lead to More Local Deaths?
- Diabetes Continues Its Relentless Rise
- More Climate-Fueled Wildfires May Lie Ahead
- Could a Clinical Trial Help Your Child?
April 13, 2017
- Health Tip: Eating Lunch at Work
- Health Tip: Checking Your Child's Moles
- Health Highlights: April 13, 2017
- Don't Let Ticks Get Under Your Skin
- 'I'm Just Too Busy' -- Is Being Overworked the New Status Symbol?
- Black Americans' Cancer Rates Differ by Birthplace
- Peripheral Vision Varies From Person to Person
- Early Onset Hot Flashes May Signal Higher Heart Risks
- Kids Can Pick Up Nicotine on Their Hands
- It's Yoga to the Rescue for Prostate Cancer Patients
- New Meds Make Inroads Against Crohn's Disease
- Another Downside to Unemployment: Stroke Risk?
- Hockey Doesn't Seem to Hit Players' Thinking Skills: Study
- Kidney Disease a Big Contributor to Heart-Related Deaths: Study
- Seniors' Brain Changes Could Make Them Vulnerable to Scams
April 14, 2017
- Health Tip: Keep Indoor Air Clean
- Health Tip: Managing Dandruff
- Health Highlights: April 14, 2017
- Vaccine Targeting Brain Tumors Seems Safe in Study
- Water Outperforms Sports Drinks for Young Athletes
- Healing Hands: Massage May Ease Chronic Back Pain
- Trump Rolls Out First Set of Obamacare Fixes
- More Asian-American Women Getting Breast Cancer
- Another Type of Mosquito May Carry Zika
- Trump Blocks Some Funding to Abortion Providers
- 'Better Health' Argument Won't Always Work to Pass Soda Taxes
- Flu Season All But Over in U.S.
- Could a Daily Vitamin Curb Smog's Effect on the Heart?
- Shooting Ranges Pose Hidden Risks: Study
April 15, 2017
April 16, 2017
April 17, 2017
- Health Tip: Caring for Nail Psoriasis
- Health Tip: Concerned About Your Child's Weight?
- Anxious? Distressed? You're Not Alone
- Health Highlights: April 17, 2017
- Just 1 in 5 Mentally Ill Women Gets Cervical Cancer Screenings
- Stress Buster: Building Resilience
- When Parents Get Vaccinated, Their Kids Do Too
- Get to Know the Mediterranean Diet
- What's the Best Seasonal Allergy Med for Your Kid?
- Regular Phys Ed Builds More Than Fitness
- Is That Your Doctor Swearing, Drinking on Facebook?
- Baseball Great Rod Carew Owes His Life to NFL Player's Transplanted Organs
- Leading Medical Groups Join March for Science on April 22
- New Bowel Disorder Treatments Needed, FDA Says
- Epilepsy: Another Potential Zika Threat to Babies
- Seniors' Well-Being May Get a Boost From Green Spaces
- Pot Smoking Common Among Pregnant Teens: Survey
April 18, 2017
- Health Tip: Stay Aware While Running
- Health Tip: Minimizing Violence During Screen Time
- Blood Pressure: Know Your Numbers
- No Link Between Common Antibiotic, Irregular Heartbeat
- Health Highlights: April 18, 2017
- Zika Can Harm Babies' Vision, Too
- Marriage Could Bring Health Bonus to Older Same-Sex Couples
- Slimy Frog Might Be a Flu Fighter
- Conflicting Statin Guidelines Leave Millions in 'Gray Zone'
- Studies Question Link Between Mom's Antidepressant Use, Autism in Kids
- Illness From 'Kissing Bug' Now Widespread in U.S.
- Prince Harry's Journey Shows Grief Can Be a Long Road
- Pump Implants May Rejuvenate Heart Failure Patients
- Is It Wise to Take a Steroid for a Sore Throat?
- Pot Ingredient Might Ease Severe Epilepsy
- Early School Start Times Tough on Teens
- High Blood Pressure: A Silver Lining for Ovarian Cancer Patients?
April 19, 2017
- Health Tip: Stuck on the Road in a Storm?
- Health Tip: Planning Your Walking Workout
- For the Young, Cigarettes Go Better With Booze Than Pot
- Strength Training Might Help Prevent Seniors' Falls
- A 'Brainwave' to Help Fight PTSD
- Health Highlights: April 19, 2017
- Thinking of Going Organic?
- Police-Inflicted Injuries Send 50,000 to ER Annually in U.S.
- Many Heart Attack Patients Fail to Stick With Statins
- Many Kids Still Being Injured on ATVs
- Could Young Blood Boost the Aging Brain?
- 4 in 10 Americans Still Breathe Dirty Air
- Body Temperature Might Give Clues to Coma
- FDA Approves Device to Help Curb Cluster Headaches
- Is Annual Eye Exam a Must for People With Type 1 Diabetes?
- Stronger Muscles May Pump Up Kids' Memory Skills
April 20, 2017
- Health Tip: When Asthma Doesn't Improve
- Health Tip: Help Manage Constipation
- Nursing Home Program Offers Alternatives to Antipsychotic Drugs
- Health Highlights: April 20, 2017
- White Wine May Do No Favors for a Woman's Skin
- What to Know About Online Dating Sites
- Money Spent on Teen Health a Good Global Investment
- Want a Longer Life? Try Biking to Work
- Study Cites Factors Linked to Suicide in the Young
- Second Cancers Deadlier for Younger People: Study
- Could a Zap to the Brain Jog Failing Memory?
- When Oxygen Runs Low, the Naked Mole-Rat Finds a Way
- U.S. Health Officials Make Headway Against Salmonella
- Don't Give Kids Medicines With Codeine, Tramadol: FDA
- College Now the Place to Try Pot: Study
- Do Diet Sodas Pose Health Risks?
- Immune-Based Therapy Shows Early Promise Against MS
- Brain May Be Organized by Functions, Not Body Parts
- When Is It Safe to Drive With Type 1 Diabetes?
April 21, 2017
- Health Tip: Dealing With Foot Arthritis
- Health Tip: Pregnant Women Need Omega-3 Fats
- Health Highlights: April 21, 2017
- Home Birth Safe for Some, But Not All, Women
- Stop and Smell the Roses at Work
- At What Age Can Kids Safely Cross the Street?
- You Can Probably Credit Your Genes for These Facial Features
- When to Make Use of the Nose in a Medical Emergency
- Opioid Abusers at Higher Death Risk When Addiction Specialists Not Part of Care
- Moms-to-Be Are Heeding Store Warnings About Alcohol
- 150-Year-Old Drug May Shorten 'Off' Time for Parkinson's Patients
- Young Adults With Autism Need Help Managing Money: Study
- Many Students Reluctant to Use Asthma Inhalers at School
- Cleaning, Greening Vacant Lots May Help Fight Crime
April 22, 2017
April 23, 2017
- Love Chocolate? Potato Chips? Your Genes Might Be to Blame
- Timing of Lunch, Recess May Determine What Kids Eat
April 24, 2017
- Health Tip: Caring for Pets
- Health Tip: Don't Let Boredom Thwart Your Workout
- In America's Poorest Communities, a Greater Risk of Child Abuse Deaths
- Should Prostate Cancer Screening Start Earlier for Black Men?
- Travelers Bring Malaria Back to U.S., With High Costs
- The Top 5 Conditions That Shorten Americans' Lives -- And Are Preventable
- Counting Your Way to Weight Loss
- Health Highlights: April 24, 2017
- Kids Face Their Own Death Risks When a Sibling Dies
- PSA Testing Rates for Prostate Cancer Have Leveled Off
- Most Patients Not Shy About Revealing Sexual Orientation
- Walk Your Way to Better Brain Health?
- Exercise Benefits Aging Hearts, Even Those of the Obese
- Common Food Nutrient Tied to Risky Blood Clotting
- Waist Size, Not Weight, May be Key to Life Span
- Mid-Life Exercise Could Jog Your Memory
April 25, 2017
- Health Tip: Eat for the Right Reasons
- Health Tip: Prepare for a Tornado
- Some Surprising Sources of Germs
- Are You Raising an 'Emotional Eater'?
- Health Highlights: April 25, 2017
- Artificial Intelligence May Help Combat TB in Remote Regions
- Is a Low-Salt Diet Always Healthy?
- Routine Tests Urged for Pregnancy Complication Preeclampsia
- 'Mindfulness' Probably Won't Cure Your Back Pain: Study
- FDA Warns 14 Companies on Bogus Cancer 'Cures'
- Opioid-Related Deaths Might Be Underestimated: CDC
- Obesity Quadruples Kids' Type 2 Diabetes Risk: Study
- Seizure Control Key to Avoiding Sudden Death With Epilepsy
- Early Treatment Equals Better Results for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Blood Test May Gauge Death Risk After Surgery
- Delay a Needed Colonoscopy at Your Own Risk
- DNA Identified That Dictate Puberty's Onset
- Synthetic Mucus Could Battle Bacteria
April 26, 2017
- Health Tip: Continuous Glucose Monitoring Devices
- Health Tip: When Kids Feel Anxious
- Health Highlights: April 26, 2017
- Women Fare Poorly With Aortic Aneurysm: Study
- Genes May Govern Your Risk for PTSD
- Exercise Guidelines: How Much Is Enough?
- Women More Sensitive to Metal Joint Implants Than Men: Study
- Cancer Risk Rises After Childhood Organ Transplant: Study
- Could an Ice Bag to the Face Be Life-Saver for Trauma Patients?
- Study Says Blood-Chromosome Test Predicts Lung Cancer's Return
- Higher Illicit Pot Use in States That OK Medical Marijuana: Study
- Energy Drinks May Give the Heart an Unhealthy Jolt
- Oktoberfest Study Links Boozing to Heart Woes
- Grieving Friends Often Find Support Online
- Parkinson's Disease May Originate in Gut, Study Says
- After Wisdom Tooth Removal, Watch Out for 'Dry Socket'
- Are Kids' Vaccines a Victim of Their Own Success?
April 27, 2017
- Health Tip: Coping With the 'Dawn Phenomenon'
- Health Tip: Better Sleep, a Better Life
- Is Your Child Using Drugs?
- Crossroads for Obamacare
- April 29 Is National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Health Highlights: April 27, 2017
- Science Uncovers a True Meeting of the Minds
- Could Germs in the Gut Give Rise to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?
- Could Smoking in Pregnancy Affect a Grandkid's Autism Risk?
- No Excuses: Exercise Can Overcome the 'Obesity Gene'
- Docs May Miss Major Cause of Vision Loss in Seniors
- 'Brain Age' May Help Predict When You'll Die
- Stivarga Approved for Liver Cancer
- Drugs Now Involved in More Fatal U.S. Crashes Than Alcohol Alone
- Repeat Teen Births Still a Problem in United States: CDC
- Opioid Use by Iraq, Afghanistan War Vets Mirrors Rest of U.S.: Study
- Money Pressures Mount When a Spouse Gets Cancer
- Type 2 Diabetes May Be Bad for Brain Health
April 28, 2017
- Health Tip: Turn Off Those Screens
- Health Tip: How to Get Enough Vitamin D
- Kids' Sun Safety Means 'Slip, Slap, Slop'
- Who You Are May Affect Your Diet More Than Where You Shop
- Guys, Take the Health Check Up a Notch
- Did Syphilis Cause Painter Goya's Hearing Loss?
- Brineura Approved for Rare Genetic Illness Affecting Kids
- Health Highlights: April 28, 2017
- Rydapt Approved for Adults With Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Seniors Often Have Trouble Managing Money, Medicines
- Most Seniors Use Cellphones While Behind the Wheel
- House Delays Vote on Obamacare Overhaul
- Taking the Stairs a Better Pick-Me-Up Than Coffee
- U.S. Moves to Avert Shortage of Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Happy Mom Means Less Colicky Baby
- Seizure Control Eases Life for Young Adults With Epilepsy
April 29, 2017
April 30, 2017
Daily MedNews Archive
2017January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2016January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2015January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2014January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2013January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2012January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2011January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2010January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2009January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December
2008January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December