How long does it take Fintepla to work?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Aug 20, 2020.
On average, it takes 3 to 4 weeks for Fintepla (fenfluramine) to start working according to trials that investigated the use of Fintepla in children and adolescents aged two to 18 years. Once a reduction in seizure frequency was observed, it generally persisted for the entire treatment period.
How effective is Fintepla?
Fintepla is significantly more effective than a placebo (a treatment that contains no active ingredient). Trials report a reduction in seizure frequency of between 31.7% and 70% depending on the dosage of Fintepla administered. Some participants reported no seizures at all during the trial period.
Two moderately large studies (one with 117 participants and one with 85 participants) reported a statistically significant reduction in seizure frequency for participants administered Fintepla within three to four weeks of starting Fintepla. This effect was reported across all dose ranges and remained consistent over the study trial period (usually around 14 to 15 weeks).
- Study 1 (117 participants) compared a 0.7 mg/kg/day and a 0.2 mg/kg/day dose of Fintepla with placebo in patients who were not receiving stiripentol. 98% of patients were taking between 1 and 4 other antiepileptic drugs. Seizure frequency decreased compared with placebo by 31.7% in those administered Fintepla 0.2 mg/kg/day and by 70% in those administered Fintepla 0.7 mg/kg/day. Three patients in both treatment groups reported no seizures within the 14 week treatment period.
- Study 2 (N=85) reported a 59.5% reduction in seizure frequency in those assigned 0.4 mg/kg/day dose of Fintepla (these patients were also receiving stiripentol and either clobazam, valproate, or both). One patient in the treatment group reported no seizures within the 15 week treatment period.
- Fintepla (fenfluramine) 07/2020 Zogenix, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/fintepla.html
- Fintepla (fenfluramine) oral solution, CIV FDA access data https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/212102s000lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- Is Fintepla a controlled substance?
- How is Fintepla injected/administered?
- What type of epilepsy is Diacomit used to treat?
- CBD vs THC vs Cannabis: What's the difference between them?
- Does Epidiolex contain marijuana?
- What type of drug is Epidiolex?