What drugs are contained in Vyxeos?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on April 1, 2021.
Vyxeos contains a fixed-dose combination of daunorubicin and cytarabine, two chemotherapy (cancer) drugs, surrounded by a liposomal coating. This is a coating made of fat-like material which provides a way for daunorubicin and cytarabine to safely get to the bone marrow while limiting their effect on healthy tissue.
Vyxeos may be used to treat adults with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) caused by previous chemotherapy treatment or AML with myelodysplasia-related changes (AML-MRC). Vyxeos may also be used in children aged one year and older to treat newly-diagnosed therapy-related t-AML or AML with myelodysplasia-related changes (AML-MRC).
- Vyxeos (daunorubicin and cytarabine) [Package Insert] Jazz Pharmaceuticals, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/vyxeos.html
- Daunorubicin and Cytarabine (Liposomal) Chemocare. https://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/daunorubicin-and-cytarabine-liposomal.aspx
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals Announces FDA Approval of Additional Indication for Vyxeos (daunorubicin and cytarabine) for the Treatment of Secondary Acute Myeloid Leukemia in Pediatric Patients https://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/jazz-pharmaceuticals-announces-fda-approval-additional-indication-vyxeos-daunorubicin-cytarabine-5476.html
Related Medical Questions
- How is Vyxeos administered and how long do you take it for?
- Why does Vyxeos have a polymer coating?
- Oxycodone vs Hydrocodone - How do they compare?
- Vicodin vs Percocet: What's the difference?
- Is Sprycel a chemotherapy drug?
- How does Ibrance kill cancer?
- Can Darzalex cure Multiple Myeloma?
- What are the side effects of marijuana?
- My stool has changed color. What does it mean?
- Does Cabometyx (cabozantinib) cure cancer?
- Is Darzalex chemotherapy?
- Is lenvatinib / pembrolizumab used in endometrial cancer?
- How are axitinib and pembrolizumab used in kidney cancer?
- How effective is Herceptin for Breast & Gastric Cancer?
- How effective is Alecensa for ALK-positive NSCLC?
- What type of prostate cancer is Erleada used to treat?
- What type of cancer is Tecentriq used to treat?