Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Top Medications with this excipient
- Chlor-Trimeton 12 Hour chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg ()
- Crestor 10 mg ()
- Crestor 40 mg ()
- Crestor 20 mg ()
- Diclofenac Potassium 50 mg ()
- Gas-X Extra Strength (Chewables) Cherry Creme simethicone 125 mg ()
- Lamotrigine (Chewable, Dispersible) 25 mg ()
- Lamotrigine (Chewable, Dispersible) 5 mg ()
- Mestinon Timespan 180 mg ()
- Mylanta Gas Maximum Strength 125 mg ()
- Pre Natal Vitamins Plus prenatal multivitamins with ferrous fumarate 27 mg and folic acid 1 mg ()
- Premarin 1.25 mg ()
- Premarin 0.3 mg ()
- Premarin 0.9 mg ()
- Prempro 0.625 mg / 5 mg ()
- Prempro 0.3 mg / 1.5 mg ()
- Prempro 0.45 mg / 1.5 mg ()
- Prenatal Plus Prenatal Vit 27 mg Fe Fumarate 1 mg ()
- PreQue 10 prenatal nutrition with coq10 and lycopene ()
- Zgesic acetaminophen 600 mg / phenyltoloxamine citrate 66 mg ()