Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 19, 2020.
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Carisoprodol 350 mg
- Carisoprodol 250 mg
- Chlor-Trimeton 12 Hour chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg
- Crestor 40 mg
- Crestor 10 mg
- Duavee bazedoxifene 20 mg / conjugated estrogens 0.45 mg
- Gas-X Extra Strength (Chewables) Cherry Creme simethicone 125 mg
- Gas-X Extra Strength (Chewables) Peppermint Creme simethicone 125 mg
- Lamotrigine (Chewable, Dispersible) 25 mg
- Lamotrigine (Orally Disintegrating) 200 mg
- Meclizine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Mylanta Gas Minis (Assorted Fruit) simethicone 125 mg
- Mylanta Gas Minis (Cherry) simethicone 125 mg
- Pre Natal Vitamins Plus prenatal multivitamins with ferrous fumarate 27 mg and folic acid 1 mg
- Premarin 1.25 mg
- Prempro 0.45 mg / 1.5 mg
- Prempro 0.625 mg / 2.5 mg
- Prempro 0.625 mg / 5 mg
- Pyridostigmine Bromide Extended-Release 180 mg
- Zgesic acetaminophen 600 mg / phenyltoloxamine citrate 66 mg
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.