Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Top Medications with this excipient
- Chlor-Trimeton 12 Hour chlorpheniramine maleate 12 mg (Schering Plough HealthCare Products)
- Crestor 40 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Crestor 10 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Crestor 20 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Diclofenac Potassium 50 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Gas-X Extra Strength (Chewables) Cherry Creme simethicone 125 mg (NOVARTIS)
- Lamotrigine (Chewable, Dispersible) 25 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Lamotrigine (Chewable, Dispersible) 5 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Mestinon Timespan 180 mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Mylanta Gas Maximum Strength 125 mg (McNeil Consumer Pharmaceuticals)
- Pre Natal Vitamins Plus prenatal multivitamins with ferrous fumarate 27 mg and folic acid 1 mg (Boca Pharmacal, Inc.)
- Premarin 0.3 mg (Wyeth)
- Premarin 1.25 mg (Wyeth)
- Premarin 0.45 mg (Wyeth)
- Premarin 0.9 mg (Wyeth)
- Prempro 0.625 mg / 5 mg (Wyeth)
- Prempro 0.3 mg / 1.5 mg (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Prempro 0.45 mg / 1.5 mg (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Prenatal Plus Prenatal Vit 27 mg Fe Fumarate 1 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Zgesic acetaminophen 600 mg / phenyltoloxamine citrate 66 mg (Capellon Pharmaceuticals)