Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 17, 2019.
What is it?
Starches are typically derived from corn or potato. Starches are used in the pharmaceutical industry for a wide variety of reasons, such as an excipient, a tablet and capsule diluent, a tablet and capsule disintegrant, a glidant, or as binder. Disintegrants enable tablets and capsules to break down into smaller fragments (dissolve) so that the drug can be released for absorption. Starches also absorb water rapidly, allowing tablets to disintegrate appropriately.
Starches are also used in the food manufacturing industry for processing, and as food thickeners or stabilizers. There are many other diverse uses for starches in the manufacturing industry. Pregelatinized starch derives primarily from corn, has been cooked and then dried. Instant puddings, pie fillings, soup mixes, salad dressings, candy often contain pregelatinized starch. Tapioca is a root starch derived from the yucca plant.
Pregelatinized starches (dried, cooked starches) are highly digestible. Consumption of excessive quantities of raw starch has resulted in obesity and iron-deficiency anemia in human subjects. However, there is no evidence to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Coumadin 2.5 mg
- Coumadin 2 mg
- Coumadin 6 mg
- Coumadin 4 mg
- Coumadin 7.5 mg
- Coumadin 3 mg
- Coumadin 10 mg
- Coumadin 5 mg
- Coumadin 1 mg
- Hyland's Calms (Homeopathic) passiflora incarnata flower, avena sativa leaf, hops, and chamomile
- Hyland's Calms Forte (Homeopathic) Avena Sativa, Chamomilla, Humulus Lupulus, Passiflora, Biochemic Phosphates
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 15 mg
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 30 mg
- Protriptyline Hydrochloride 5 mg
- Puralor Ci Therapeutic Multiple Vitamins with Minerals, Folic Acid, and Essential Fatty Acids
- Senna Plus docusate sodium 50 mg / sennosides 8.6 mg
- Senna-S docusate sodium 50 mg / sennosides 8.6 mg