Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 27, 2020.
What is it?
Sorbitol (C6H14O6) is a sugar alcohol (polyol) used in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industry as a sweetener or humectant (for protection against loss of moisture content). It is produced by hydrogenation of glucose and is available in liquid and crystalline form. It also occurs naturally in many fresh fruits and berries. Sorbitol is also found commonly in "sugar-free" chewing gum, and may be used to sweeten pharmaceutical dosage forms such as syrups or chewable tablets.
Excessive consumption of sorbitol may lead to a laxative effect, but the small amount used in pharmaceutical manufacturing processes would not normally pose this risk.
Sorbitol is about two-thirds as sweet as glucose. It has a lower calorie content than glucose and may be used in diabetic foods. Sorbitol has roughly 2.6 calories per gram of bulk product. Sorbitol in normal quantities is a safe food product for consumption, and is listed in the FDA’s Generally Regarded as Safe GRAS listing.  
 FDA’s SCOGS database; corn starch, Report No. 9, 1979.; ID Code: 50-70-4; http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260079.htmAccessed October 24, 2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride 325 mg / 5 mg
- Calcitriol 0.25 mcg
- Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Colace 100 mg
- Didanosine (for Oral Suspension) 100 mg
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride and Ibuprofen diphenhydramine hydrochloride 25mg / ibuprofen 200 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Hyoscyamine Sulfate (Sublingual) 0.125 mg
- Ibuprofen 200 mg
- Mapap 80 mg
- Mucinex Fast-Max Night Time Cold & Flu Liquid Gels acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan HBr 10 mg / doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg / phenylephrine HCl 5 mg
- Mytab Gas 125 mg
- Nimodipine 30 mg
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride (Orally Disintegrating) 4 mg
- Paricalcitol 2 mcg
- Regimex 25 mg
- Relamine Multiple Vitamins with Fluoride 0.25 mg
- Staxyn 10 mg
- Taytulla ethinyl estradiol 0.02 mg / norethindrone acetate 1 mg