Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Sorbitol (C6H14O6) is a sugar alcohol (polyol) used in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industry as a sweetener or humectant (for protection against loss of moisture content). It is produced by hydrogenation of glucose and is available in liquid and crystalline form. It also occurs naturally in many fresh fruits and berries. Sorbitol is also found commonly in "sugar-free" chewing gum, and may be used to sweeten pharmaceutical dosage forms such as syrups or chewable tablets.
Excessive consumption of sorbitol may lead to a laxative effect, but the small amount used in pharmaceutical manufacturing processes would not normally pose this risk.
Sorbitol is about two-thirds as sweet as glucose. It has a lower calorie content than glucose and may be used in diabetic foods. Sorbitol has roughly 2.6 calories per gram of bulk product. Sorbitol in normal quantities is a safe food product for consumption, and is listed in the FDA’s Generally Regarded as Safe GRAS listing.  
 FDA’s SCOGS database; corn starch, Report No. 9, 1979.; ID Code: 50-70-4; http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260079.htmAccessed October 24, 2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Phenylephrine Hydrochloride acetaminophen 325 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Alamag Plus aluminum hydroxide dried gel 200 mg / magnesium hydroxide 200 mg / simethicone 25 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Multi-Symptom Cold & Flu (Day Formula) acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Plus Severe Allergy Sinus Congestion & Headache acetaminophen 325 mg / doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Alprazolam (orally disintegrating) 1 mg
- Amitiza 24 mcg
- Benzonatate 100 mg
- Calcitriol 0.5 mcg
- Clonazepam (dispersible) 0.5 mg
- Cold & Flu Relief Daytime acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan 10 mg / phenylephrine 5 mg
- Cyclosporine 25 mg
- Didanosine (for Oral Suspension) 200 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Ibuprofen 200 mg
- Lithium Carbonate Extended Release 300 mg
- Myambutol 100 mg
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride (Orally Disintegrating) 4 mg
- Risperidone (Orally Disintegrating) 0.25 mg
- Rocaltrol 0.5 mcg