Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Sorbitol (C6H14O6) is a sugar alcohol (polyol) used in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food industry as a sweetener or humectant (for protection against loss of moisture content). It is produced by hydrogenation of glucose and is available in liquid and crystalline form. It also occurs naturally in many fresh fruits and berries. Sorbitol is also found commonly in "sugar-free" chewing gum, and may be used to sweeten pharmaceutical dosage forms such as syrups or chewable tablets.
Excessive consumption of sorbitol may lead to a laxative effect, but the small amount used in pharmaceutical manufacturing processes would not normally pose this risk.
Sorbitol is about two-thirds as sweet as glucose. It has a lower calorie content than glucose and may be used in diabetic foods. Sorbitol has roughly 2.6 calories per gram of bulk product. Sorbitol in normal quantities is a safe food product for consumption, and is listed in the FDA’s Generally Regarded as Safe GRAS listing.  
 FDA’s SCOGS database; corn starch, Report No. 9, 1979.; ID Code: 50-70-4; http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260079.htmAccessed October 24, 2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen 80 mg
- Acetaminophen, Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide and Doxylamine Succinate 325 mg / 15 mg / 6.25 mg
- Alka-Seltzer Fruit Chews (Antacid) calcium carbonate 750 mg
- Benzphetamine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Carbidopa and Levodopa (Orally Disintegrating) 25 mg / 250 mg
- Clonazepam (dispersible) 0.5 mg
- Clonazepam (Dispersible) 2 mg
- Cold and Flu Relief Night Time acetaminophen 325mg / dextromethorphan 15mg / doxylamine 6.25mg
- Cyclosporine 50 mg
- Day Time Multi-Symptom Cold/Flu Relief acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Docusate Sodium 100 mg
- Ethosuximide 250 mg
- Kao-Tin docusate calcium 240 mg
- Mytab Gas 80 mg
- Night Time Multi Symptom Cold/Flu Relief acetaminophen 325mg / dextromethorphan 15mg / doxylamine 6.25 mg
- Ondansetron Hydrochloride (Orally Disintegrating) 4 mg
- Rizatriptan Benzoate (Orally Disintegrating) 10 mg (base)
- Sandimmune 25 mg
- Simethicone 180 mg