Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3, is a common ingredient in effervescent powders and tablets. It is used with an acidic agent, such as citric or tartaric acid, to cause a reaction that produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide leads to the resultant fizzing of the effervescent powder, such as seen with Alka-Seltzer.
Effervescent tablets and powders are widely used to deliver medicines contained antacids, pain medications, and cough or cold medicines. They dissolve quickly, are stable, convenient and easy to carry.
All carbonate salts on the FDA generally regarded as safe list. There is no evidence in the available information on calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, or sodium sesquicarbonate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 FDA’s SCOGS database; carbonates; SCOGS-Report Number: 26; Accessed 8/17/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260329.htm
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aspirin (Enteric Coated) 81 mg ()
- Aspirin Enteric Coated 81 mg ()
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 150 mg ()
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 300 mg ()
- Clozapine (Orally Disintegrating) 12.5 mg ()
- ConRx AR aluminum hydroxide 160 mg/ magnesium hydroxide 105 mg ()
- Divalproex Sodium Delayed-Release 250 mg ()
- Enalapril Maleate 10 mg ()
- Enalapril Maleate 5 mg ()
- Esterified Estrogens and Methyltestosterone 0.625 mg / 1.25 mg ()
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Moexipril Hydrochloride 25 mg / 15 mg ()
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Triamterene 25 mg / 37.5 mg ()
- Imitrex 100 mg ()
- Liptruzet atorvastatin 10 mg / ezetimibe 10 mg ()
- Moexipril Hydrochloride 7.5 mg ()
- Ranitidine Hydrochloride 300 mg ()
- Remeron SolTab 30 mg ()
- Tri-Sprintec ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norgestimate 0.18 mg ()
- Vasotec 20 mg ()
- Zolpidem Tartrate Extended-Release 12.5 mg ()