Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 12, 2018.
What is it?
Sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3, is a common ingredient in effervescent powders and tablets. It is used with an acidic agent, such as citric or tartaric acid, to cause a reaction that produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide leads to the resultant fizzing of the effervescent powder, such as seen with Alka-Seltzer.
Effervescent tablets and powders are widely used to deliver medicines contained antacids, pain medications, and cough or cold medicines. They dissolve quickly, are stable, convenient and easy to carry.
All carbonate salts on the FDA generally regarded as safe list. There is no evidence in the available information on calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, or sodium sesquicarbonate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 FDA’s SCOGS database; carbonates; SCOGS-Report Number: 26; Accessed 8/17/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260329.htm
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acamprosate Calcium Delayed-Release 333 mg
- Aspirin 81 mg
- Aspirin Enteric Coated 81 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 40 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 10 mg
- Binosto 70 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 300 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 150 mg
- Divalproex Sodium Delayed-Release 250 mg
- Enalapril Maleate 10 mg
- Enalapril Maleate 5 mg
- FazaClo 150 mg
- Liptruzet atorvastatin 40 mg / ezetimibe 10 mg
- Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release 1000 mg
- Mirtazapine (Orally Disintegrating) 45 mg
- Nicaprin Multiple Vitamins with Minerals
- Oxybutynin Chloride Extended-Release 10 mg
- Pravastatin Sodium 20 mg
- Rosuvastatin Calcium 5 mg
- Sumatriptan Succinate 25 mg