Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3, is a common ingredient in effervescent powders and tablets. It is used with an acidic agent, such as citric or tartaric acid, to cause a reaction that produces carbon dioxide (CO2). The carbon dioxide leads to the resultant fizzing of the effervescent powder, such as seen with Alka-Seltzer.
Effervescent tablets and powders are widely used to deliver medicines contained antacids, pain medications, and cough or cold medicines. They dissolve quickly, are stable, convenient and easy to carry.
All carbonate salts on the FDA generally regarded as safe list. There is no evidence in the available information on calcium carbonate, potassium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, or sodium sesquicarbonate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 FDA’s SCOGS database; carbonates; SCOGS-Report Number: 26; Accessed 8/17/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodIngredientsPackaging/GenerallyRecognizedasSafeGRAS/GRASSubstancesSCOGSDatabase/ucm260329.htm
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Alavert (Orally Disintegrating) 10 mg
- Aspirin Enteric Coated 81 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 80 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 10 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 150 mg
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 300 mg
- Divalproex Sodium Delayed Release 500 mg
- Enalapril Maleate 10 mg
- Enalapril Maleate and Hydrochlorothiazide 5 mg / 12.5 mg
- FazaClo 200 mg
- Fentora 400 mcg
- Fentora 100 mcg
- Liptruzet atorvastatin 80 mg / ezetimibe 10 mg
- Liptruzet atorvastatin 20 mg / ezetimibe 10 mg
- Pravastatin Sodium 20 mg
- Pravastatin Sodium 80 mg
- Sumatriptan Succinate 100 mg
- Sumatriptan Succinate 50 mg
- Zolpidem Tartrate Extended Release 12.5 mg
- Zomig-ZMT 2.5 mg