Silicon Dioxide Colloidal
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 20, 2019.
What is it?
Silicon dioxide (SiO2), or silica, is known in nature as sand or quartz. It occurs naturally in the earth’s crust, and silicates are present in water, animals and plants. Silicates are also consumed as part of the natural human diet.
In the pharmaceutical industry, silicon dioxide (also known as colloidal silicon dioxide) has many uses in tablet-making: some include as an anti-caking agent, adsorbent, disintegrant, or glidant to allow powder to flow freely when tablets are processed. These compounds appear to be biologically inert. Silicon dioxide is generally recognized as safe by the FDA.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 FDA’s SCOGS database; Silicon dioxides, Report No. 61, 1979.; ID Code: 14808-60-7; http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=276; accessed August 12, 2011.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acyclovir 400 mg
- Acyclovir 400 mg
- Carbidopa and Levodopa (Orally Disintegrating) 10 mg / 100 mg
- Carvedilol 6.25 mg
- Chest Congestion Relief DM dextromethorphan hydrobromide 20mg / guaifenesin 400mg
- Furosemide 40 mg
- Furosemide 20 mg
- Indomethacin 50 mg
- Loratadine and Pseudoephedrine Sulfate Extended Release 10 mg / 240 mg
- Methocarbamol 500 mg
- Methocarbamol 750 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 135 mg
- Nabumetone 500 mg
- Ofloxacin 400 mg
- Ranitidine Hydrochloride 150 mg
- Tizanidine Hydrochloride 4 mg
- Tizanidine Hydrochloride 2 mg
- Trazodone Hydrochloride 50 mg