Silicon Dioxide Colloidal
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Silicon dioxide (SiO2), or silica, is known in nature as sand or quartz. It occurs naturally in the earth’s crust, and silicates are present in water, animals and plants. Silicates are also consumed as part of the natural human diet.
In the pharmaceutical industry, silicon dioxide (also known as colloidal silicon dioxide) has many uses in tablet-making: some include as an anti-caking agent, adsorbent, disintegrant, or glidant to allow powder to flow freely when tablets are processed. These compounds appear to be biologically inert. Silicon dioxide is generally recognized as safe by the FDA.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 FDA’s SCOGS database; Silicon dioxides, Report No. 61, 1979.; ID Code: 14808-60-7; http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=276; accessed August 12, 2011.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone Bitartrate 325 mg / 5 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Acetaminophen and Oxycodone Hydrochloride 325 mg / 10 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine 325 mg / 50 mg / 40 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Adderall 30 mg (Shire US Inc.)
- Amitriptyline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Buspirone Hydrochloride 10 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Clonidine Hydrochloride 0.1 mg (Unichem Pharmaceuticals)
- Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate 200 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Ibuprofen 800 mg (Marksans Pharma Inc.)
- Ibuprofen 600 mg (Marksans Pharma Inc.)
- Methocarbamol 500 mg (Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Methocarbamol 750 mg (Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Methocarbamol 750 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Methocarbamol 500 mg (West-ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Norco 325 mg / 5 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- PredniSONE 20 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Tizanidine Hydrochloride 4 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Tizanidine Hydrochloride 4 mg (Unichem Pharmaceuticals (USA), Inc.)
- Tramadol Hydrochloride 50 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Trazodone Hydrochloride 50 mg (Apotex Corp.)