Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Propylparaben has been used as an antimicrobial preservative in the food, cosmetic, and pharmaceutical industries for over 50 years. The chemical formula for propylparaben is C10H12O3.
Propylparaben is easily absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract and skin, and metabolites are rapidly excreted in the urine. It does not appear to accumulate in the body. It is on the FDA generally regarded as safe list.
Animal toxicity studies suggest propylparaben is relatively nontoxic by both the oral and injectable routes, but may irritate the skin It has not been shown to be carcinogenic, mutagenic or clastogenic. All parabens have similar structure to estrogen. Studies conducted in the early 2000s located traces of parabens in breast tumors, but evidence has not linked parabens with breast cancer.
The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) reviewed the safety of methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben in 1984 and concluded they were safe for use in cosmetic products at levels up to 25%. Typically parabens are used at levels ranging from 0.01 to 0.3%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008. Accessed 08/17/2011. http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen 325 mg (Geri-Care Pharmaceuticals)
- Anacin Aspirin Free acetaminophen 500 mg (Insight Pharmaceuticals)
- Ancobon 500 mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America)
- Ancobon 250 mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals North America)
- Benzonatate 100 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride 10 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride 10 mg (Solco Healthcare U.S., LLC)
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 10 mg (KVK Tech, Inc.)
- Loxapine Succinate 5 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Matulane 50 mg (Sigma-Tau Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Nifedipine 10 mg (Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Nifedipine 20 mg (Heritage Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Oxazepam 10 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Temazepam 30 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Tetracycline Hydrochloride 500 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Theophylline Extended-Release 300 mg (Inwood Laboratories Inc.)
- Valproic Acid 250 mg (Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited)
- Verapamil Hydrochloride SR 180 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Verelan 180 mg (Schwarz Pharma)
- Vimovo esomeprazole 20 mg / naproxen 500 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)