Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Starches are typically derived from corn or potato. Starches are used in the pharmaceutical industry for a wide variety of reasons, such as an excipient, a tablet and capsule diluent, a tablet and capsule disintegrant, a glidant, or as binder. Disintegrants enable tablets and capsules to break down into smaller fragments (dissolve) so that the drug can be released for absorption. Starches also absorb water rapidly, allowing tablets to disintegrate appropriately.
Starches are also used in the food manufacturing industry for processing, and as food thickeners or stabilizers. There are many other diverse uses for starches in the manufacturing industry. Pregelatinized starch derives primarily from corn, has been cooked and then dried. Instant puddings, pie fillings, soup mixes, salad dressings, candy often contain pregelatinized starch.
Pregelatinized starches (dried, cooked starches) are highly digestible. Consumption of excessive quantities of raw starch has resulted in obesity and iron-deficiency anemia in humans. However, there is no evidence to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Codeine Phosphate 300 mg / 30 mg
- Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone Bitartrate 500 mg / 5 mg
- Benazepril Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Benazepril Hydrochloride 40 mg
- Benazepril Hydrochloride and Hydrochlorothiazide 20 mg / 12.5 mg
- Bextra 20 mg
- Enalapril Maleate 5 mg
- Flutamide 125 mg
- Furosemide 20 mg
- Furosemide 40 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Lisinopril 12.5 mg / 20 mg
- Lisinopril 20 mg
- Lisinopril 30 mg
- Meperidine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Mirtazapine 7.5 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 40 mg
- Sotalol Hydrochloride AF 120 mg
- Talacen 650 mg / 25 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride 50 mg