Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Povidone (polyvinylpyrrolidone, PVP) is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a synthetic polymer vehicle for dispersing and suspending drugs. It has multiple uses, including as a binder for tablets and capsules, a film former for ophthalmic solutions, to aid in flavoring liquids and chewable tablets, and as an adhesive for transdermal systems.
Povidone has the molecular formula of (C6H9NO)n and appears as a white to slightly off-white powder. Povidone formulations are widely used in the pharmaceutical industry due to their ability to dissolve in both water and oil solvents. The k number refers to the mean molecular weight of the povidone. Povidones with higher K-values (i.e., k90) are not usually given by injection due to their high molecular weights. The higher molecular weights prevent excretion by the kidneys and lead to accumulation in the body. The best-known example of povidone formulations is povidone-iodine, an important disinfectant.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 Folttman H, Quadir A. Excipent Update. Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) - one of the mosy widely used excipients in pharmaceuricals: an overview. Drug Delivery Technology. Vol 8;6:22-7. Accessed April 9, 2012. http://www.pharma-ingredients.basf.com/Documents/ENP/Review%20Articles/DDT-June-2008.pdf
Top Medications with this excipient
- Citalopram Hydrobromide 40 mg
- Citalopram Hydrobromide 10 mg
- Citalopram Hydrobromide 20 mg
- Kelnor 1/35 ethinyl estradiol 35 mcg / ethynodiol diacetate 1 mg
- Robitussin Lingering Cold Long-Acting Coughgels dextromethorphan hydrobromide 15 mg
- Robitussin Peak Cold Daytime Cold + Flu acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 10 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 5 mg
- Robitussin Peak Cold Nighttime Cold + Flu acetaminophen 325 mg / dextromethorphan hydrobromide 15 mg / doxylamine succinate 6.25 mg
- Tinidazole 250 mg
- Tinidazole 500 mg