Polyethylene Glycol 4000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 6, 2019.
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments, and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an active ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate and Valsartan 5 mg / 160 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 500 mg / 125 mg
- Av-Phos 250 Neutral sodium phosphate (dibasic) 852 mg, potassium phosphate (monobasic) 155 mg and sodium phosphate (monobasic) 130 mg
- Azithromycin Monohydrate 250 mg
- Azithromycin Monohydrate 500 mg
- Bicalutamide 50 mg
- Entresto sacubitril 97 mg / valsartan 103 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Olmesartan Medoxomil 25 mg / 40 mg
- Levetiracetam Extended Release 500 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended-Release 60 mg
- Olanzapine 20 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 100 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 25 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate Extended-Release 400 mg
- Rosuvastatin Calcium 40 mg
- Sildenafil Citrate 20 mg (base)
- Tramadol Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Valganciclovir Hydrochloride 450 mg