Polyethylene Glycol 4000
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments, and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an active ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium 875 mg / 125 mg
- Azithromycin Monohydrate 250 mg
- Azithromycin Monohydrate 500 mg
- Cefuroxime Axetil 500 mg
- Clarithromycin Extended Release 500 mg
- Diclofenac Potassium 50 mg
- Ethambutol Hydrochloride 400 mg
- Gemfibrozil 600 mg
- Granisetron Hydrochloride 1 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Irbesartan 12.5 mg / 300 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Valsartan 12.5 mg / 320 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Valsartan 25 mg / 320 mg
- Levetiracetam 750 mg
- Levetiracetam 250 mg
- Pantoprazole Sodium Delayed-Release 40 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg
- Quetiapine Fumarate 300 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Trospium Chloride Extended-Release 60 mg
- Zelnorm 2 mg