Polyethylene Glycol 3350
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments, and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin Trihydrate 875 mg (Aurobindo Pharma)
- Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Entereg 12 mg (Adolor Corporation)
- Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate 200 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg (KVK Tech Inc.)
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 50 mg (KVK Tech Inc.)
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Losartan Potassium 50 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 135 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Minocycline Hydrochloride Extended-Release 90 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Montelukast Sodium 10 mg (base) (Roxane Laboratories, Inc.)
- Prezista 75 mg (Ortho Biotech Inc)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 25 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 100 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 50 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Solodyn 80 mg (Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Topiramate (Sprinkle) 15 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Topiramate (Sprinkle) 25 mg (Cobalt Laboratories Inc)
- Urso 250 mg (Axcan Scandipharm Inc.)
- Urso Forte 500 mg (Axcan Scandipharm Inc.)