Polyethylene Glycol 3350
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Polyethylene glycol, referred to as PEG, is used as an inactive ingredient in the pharmaceutical industry as a solvent, plasticizer, surfactant, ointments, and suppository base, and tablet and capsule lubricant. PEG has low toxicity with systemic absorption less than 0.5%.
PEGylation occurs when PEGs are attached to various protein medications, allowing for greater solubility for certain drugs. Examples of PEGylated medications include PEG-interferon alpha (Pegintron) and PEG-filgrastim (Neulasta). PEG is also available as a bowel prep for colonoscopy procedures and as a laxative.
PEG 400 indicates the average molecular weight of the specific PEG at 400. PEG 3350 is a laxative available over-the-counter by the name of Miralax. In this case, PEG is considered an "active" ingredient, even though systemic absorption is less than 0.5%.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin Trihydrate 875 mg
- Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Dasetta 7/7/7 ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norethindrone 0.5 mg
- Famotidine 20 mg
- Foltabs plus DHA Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1 mg
- Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate 200 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 50 mg
- Levetiracetam 1000 mg
- Losartan Potassium 25 mg
- Losartan Potassium 50 mg
- Mono-Linyah ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norgestimate 0.25 mg
- Montelukast Sodium 10 mg (base)
- Philith ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norethindrone 0.4 mg
- Ribasphere 400 mg
- Simvastatin 10 mg
- Solodyn 90 mg
- Tri-Linyah ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg / norgestimate 0.18 mg
- Xarelto 10 mg