Ethylcellulose (10 MPa.s)
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 7, 2020.
What is it?
Ethylcellulose is a free-flowing, white to light tan powder used in the pharmaceutical and food manufacturing industries. It is prepared from wood pulp or cotton by treatment with alkali and ethylation of the alkali cellulose with ethyl chloride. Ethylcellulose is used in pharmaceutical industry as a coating agent, flavoring fixative, tablet binder and filler, and as a viscosity-increasing agent. Ethyl cellulose is also used in the food industry as an emulsifier. 
There is very limited data detailing possible side effects of ethylcellulose; however it is included in the FDA generally regarded as safe (GRAS) Database of Substances (SCOGS) Reviews.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 08/19/2011
 Food and Agriculture Organization of the United States. Prepared at the 26th JECFA (1982), published in FNP 25 ( 1982) and FNP. 52 (1992). Accessed March 31, 2012. Ethylcellulose. http://www.fao.org/ag/agn/jecfa-additives/specs/Monograph1/Additive-178.pdf
 FDA’s SCOGS database; Ethylcellulose; SCOGS-Report Number: 25; http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=365 Accessed March 31, http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/fcn/fcnDetailNavigation.cfm?rpt=scogsListing&id=119
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Budesonide (Enteric Coated) 3 mg
- Cartia XT 300 mg
- Cartia XT 120 mg
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release 180 mg
- Galantamine Hydrobromide Extended Release 24 mg
- Inderal XL 80 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 27 mg
- Methylphenidate Hydrochloride Extended-Release 54 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 50 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 25 mg
- Metoprolol Succinate Extended-Release 100 mg
- Metronidazole 500 mg
- Potassium Chloride Extended Release 10 mEq (750mg)
- Potassium Chloride Extended-Release 20 mEq (1500 mg)
- Potassium Chloride Extended-Release 8 mEq (600 mg)
- Propranolol Hydrochloride Extended-Release 160 mg
- Tramadol Hydrochloride Extended-Release 100 mg
- Trospium Chloride Extended-Release 60 mg
- Ziprasidone Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Ziprasidone Hydrochloride 40 mg