Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 17, 2022.
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Lecithin is used to stabilize emulsions. Lecithin is present in all living cells and is a significant constituent of nerve and brain cells. Egg lecithin is commonly used in the pharmaceutical and cosmetics industry. It is a purified mixture of phospholipids supplying phosphatidylcholine, but does not contain cholesterol or proteins. In the pharmaceutical industry, it is used as a wetting agent, dispersing agent, carrier, and emulsifier; it is often used for intravenous (IV) emulsions. Only a few emulsions are considered safe for IV use, including lecithin, polysorbate 80, and Poloxamer 188. In the cosmetics industry, it is used to oli in water emulsions for cosmetic compositions or pharmaceutical excipients. Commercial lecithin primarily comes from soybean oil. The FDA considers egg lecithin as generally regarded as safe. Lecithin is virtually non-toxic, as it can be fully metabolized, unlike its counterpart synthetic emulsions.
List of medications using Egg Phospholipids
- Advil Allergy and Congestion Relief chlorpheniramine maleate 4 mg / ibuprofen 200 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg
- Advil Congestion Relief ibuprofen 200 mg / phenylephrine 10 mg
- Advil Sinus Congestion & Pain ibuprofen 200 mg / phenylephrine hydrochloride 10 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 40 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 20 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 10 mg
- Atorvastatin Calcium 80 mg
- Fenofibrate 160 mg
- Fenofibrate 54 mg
- Ibuprofen 200 mg
- Nexa Plus with DHA Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1.25 mg and Docusate
- Rolaids Ultra Strength Softchews (Orange) calcium carbonate 1330 mg / magnesium hydroxide 235 mg
- Rolaids Ultra Strength Softchews (Strawberry) calcium carbonate 1330 mg / magnesium hydroxide 235 mg
- Rosiglitazone Maleate 4 mg (base)
- Rosiglitazone Maleate 8 mg (base)
- Rosiglitazone Maleate 2 mg (base)
- Triglide 50 mg
- Triglide 160 mg
- Virt-Caps Vitamin B Complex with C and Folic Acid
- Virt-PN DHA Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1 mg
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.