Calcium Phosphate Dibasic Anhydrous
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
Calcium phosphate is on the FDA Generally Regarded as Safe List (GRAS). There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg (InvaGen Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Amlodipine Besylate 5 mg (InvaGen Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals)
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Major Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Perrigo Company)
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Woonsocket Prescription Center, Incorporated)
- Hydrochlorothiazide and Lisinopril 12.5 mg / 20 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Hydroxychloroquine Sulfate 200 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Glenmark Generics Inc.)
- Lisinopril 10 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Lisinopril 20 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Lisinopril 5 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Zydus Pharmaceuticals)
- Penicillin V Potassium 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 50 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Sertraline Hydrochloride 100 mg (Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc)
- Sildenafil Citrate 20 mg (base) (Greenstone LLC)
- Viagra 100 mg (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- Zolpidem Tartrate 10 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)