Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 29, 2020.
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Aldex-CT 12.5 mg / 5 mg
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 2.5 mg / 10 mg
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 5 mg / 40 mg
- Lotrel 5 mg / 40 mg
- Lotrel 5 mg / 10 mg
- Lotrel 5 mg / 20 mg
- Lotrel 10 mg / 20 mg
- Lotrel 10 mg / 40 mg
- OB Complete Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1.25 mg
- OB Complete Premier Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 40 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 30 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg
- Symax Duotab 0.375 mg dual-release
- Symax SR 0.375 mg
- Thyrolar-1 4 levothyroxine sodium 12.5 mcg / liothyronine sodium 3.1 mcg
- Thyrolar-2 levothyroxine sodium 100 mcg / liothyronine sodium 25 mcg
- Thyrolar-3 levothyroxine sodium 150 mcg / liothyronine sodium 37.5 mcg
- Vol-Care Rx Vitamin B Complex with C and Folic Acid