Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Various calcium phosphates are used as diluents in the pharmaceutical industry. Diluents are added to pharmaceutical tablets or capsules to make the product large enough for swallowing and handling, and more stable.
Some calcium phosphate salts can be anhydrous, meaning the water has been removed from the salt form. Other calcium phosphates are termed dibasic, meaning they have two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
There is no evidence in the available information on calcium phopshate that demonstrates or suggests reasonable grounds to suspect a hazard to the public when they are used at levels that are now current or that might reasonably be expected in the future.
 Dave RH. Overview of pharmaceutical excipients used in tablets and capsules. Drug Topics (online). Advanstar. 10/24/2008 http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drugtopics/Top+News/Overview-of-pharmaceutical-excipients-used-in-tabl/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/561047. Accessed 03/24/2012
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 5 mg / 40 mg ()
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 2.5 mg / 10 mg ()
- Amlodipine Besylate and Benazepril Hydrochloride 10 mg / 40 mg ()
- Cataflam diclofenac potassium 50 mg ()
- Lisinopril 5 mg ()
- Lisinopril 40 mg ()
- Lisinopril 10 mg ()
- Lotrel 2.5 mg / 10 mg ()
- Lotrel 5 mg / 40 mg ()
- Lotrel 10 mg / 40 mg ()
- OB Complete Premier Prenatal Multivitamins with Folic Acid 1 mg ()
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg ()
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg ()
- Simethicone (Chewable) 80 mg ()
- Symax SR 0.375 mg ()
- Thyrolar-1 levothyroxine sodium 50 mcg / liothyronine sodium 12.5 mcg ()
- Thyrolar-1/2 levothyroxine sodium 25 mcg / liothyronine sodium 6.25 mcg ()
- Thyrolar-1/4 levothyroxine sodium 12.5 mcg / liothyronine sodium 3.1 mcg ()
- Thyrolar-3 levothyroxine sodium 150 mcg / liothyronine sodium 37.5 mcg ()
- Tofranil 50 mg ()