Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Aluminum silicate (Al2SiO5) is also known as kaolin, or hydrated aluminum silicate when in powder form. Aluminum silicate is a mixture of alumina, silica, and oxygen. Kaolin is often used as a demulcent and adsorbent in pharmaceutical industry. It is used in color lakes (insoluble dyes). As a raw material, it is commonly found in paper, plastics, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals, and it is also used in pharmaceutical preparations as a filtering agent to clarify liquids. As a medicinal agent, kaolin, is used to treat diarrhea. In dentistry, used to add toughness and opacity to porcelain teeth. Other common names for hydrated aluminum silicate include heavy or light kaolin, china clay, bolus alba, porcelain clay, white bole, and argilla.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Felodipine Extended-Release 5 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Felodipine Extended-Release 2.5 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Felodipine Extended-Release 10 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Lexxel 5 mg / 5 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Plendil 5 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Plendil 10 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)
- Plendil 2.5 mg (AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals)