Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 3, 2020.
What is it?
Aluminum oxide, also known as alumina, is a white, crystalline powder, with a chemical formula of Al2O3. Aluminum oxide occurs in nature as various minerals such as bauxite or corundum. Aluminum oxide has many uses in pharmaceutical and industrial manufacturing processes. It is used as an adsorbent, desiccating agent, and catalyst, and in the manufacture of dental cements. It is also available in consumer products; for example as an abrasive in toothpaste, as a dispersing agent food additive, and for uses in hemodialysis.
Aluminum oxide is not classified as a human carcinogen, but workers chronically exposed to aluminum-containing dust or particles have developed severe pulmonary reactions including fibrosis, emphysema and pneumothorax. Inhalation effects of short-term exposure may cause eye and upper respiratory tract irritation. Long-term inhalational effects of long-term exposure may affect the central nervous system
 International Program on Chemical Safety/Commission of the European Communities; International Chemical Safety Card on Aluminum oxide (October 2000). Available from, as of May 20, 2010: http://www.inchem.org/pages/icsc.html Accessed March 19, 2012
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone Bitartrate 500 mg / 10 mg
- Acetaminophen and Hydrocodone Bitartrate 325 mg / 10 mg
- Benadryl Allergy Ultratab diphenhydramine 25 mg
- Buprenorphine Hydrochloride and Naloxone Hydrochloride (Sublingual) 8 mg / 2 mg
- Clonidine Hydrochloride 0.1 mg
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride 10 mg
- Hydrochlorothiazide and lisinopril 12.5 mg / 10 mg
- Hysingla ER 20 mg
- Meclizine Hydrochloride 25 mg
- Mucinex Maximum Strength 1200 mg
- Norco 325 mg / 10 mg
- Nucynta tapentadol 50 mg
- OxyContin 80 mg
- Oxymorphone Hydrochloride Extended-Release 40 mg
- Prednisone 20 mg
- Prochlorperazine Maleate 10 mg
- Sildenafil Citrate 100 mg
- Tylenol Extra Strength 500 mg
- Viagra 100 mg
- Zoloft 50 mg