Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
There are four types of alcohol: methyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol, propyl alcohol and butyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol, or ethanol (C2H5OH), is the type used in the production of alcoholic beverages. The other three types, methyl, propyl and butyl alcohol, if consumed can result in blindness and death, even in relatively small doses.
Alcohol, (C2H6O), also known as ethyl alcohol or ethanol, is the intoxicating agent found in beer, wine and liquor. Alcohol is produced by fermentation of yeast, sugars, and starches. Fruits such as grapes, and grains like barley and wheat are most commonly used for wine, beer and liquors. Other plants, such as the cactus or sugar cane may be used in liquor production. Alcohol is used as a solvent and vehicle in a variety of medications, including prescription and over-the-counter drugs.
Alcohol is used in the pharmaceutical industry in a variety of manufacturing processes. It has bactericidal activity and is often used as a topical disinfectant, especially in alcohol gel for hands. It is also widely used as a solvent and preservative in pharmaceutical preparations.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amoxicillin Trihydrate 500 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Budeprion XL 150 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 300 mg (Anchen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Bupropion Hydrochloride Extended-Release (XL) 150 mg (Anchen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride and Olanzapine 50 mg / 12 mg (Par Pharmaceutical)
- Gabapentin 400 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Omeprazole 20 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg (Kremers Urban)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 20 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg (Kremers Urban)
- Omeprazole Delayed Release 40 mg (Apotex Corp.)
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 30 mg (Lannett Company, Inc.)
- Phentermine Hydrochloride 15 mg (Lannett Company, Inc.)
- Phentermine Resin Extended Release 15 mg (Lannett Company, Inc.)
- REBETOL 200 MG (Schering)
- Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.4 mg (Aurobindo Pharma Limited)
- Temazepam 30 mg (Novel Laboratories, Inc.)
- Tetracycline Hydrochloride 500 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Tizanidine Hydrochloride 4 mg (Apotex Inc.)
- Venlafaxine Hydrochloride Extended-Release 37.5 mg (Orchid Healthcare)