Potassium Iodide and Iodine (Lugol's Solution or Strong Iodine Solution) 14 mL bottles Shortage
Last Updated: December 4, 2019
- Safecor has Lugol's solution available.
- The 16 ounce bottle presentations are not affected.
- Lugol's Solution or Strong Iodine oral solution, Safecor, Potassium Iodide 10% / Iodine 5%, 14 mL bottle, NDC 48433-0230-15
Implications for Patient Care
- Potassium iodide and iodine is used in preparing patients for thyroidectomy, thyroid gland protection during radiopharmaceutical use, and in thyrotoxic crisis or thyroid storm.
- Potassium iodide and iodine is also approved for use as a topical antiseptic.[1-2]
- Dosing errors have occurred with potassium iodide and iodine. Factors contributing to dosing errors include that the product is not used frequently, therefore clinicians may be unfamiliar with dosing, and because it is dosed in drops instead of mL.
- Potassium Iodide and Iodine. Lexi-Drugs Online. Hudson, OH: Lexi-Comp Inc.; 2019.
- Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Look out for Lugol's...Error Prevention Strategies for This Strong Iodine Solution. https://www.ismp.org/resources/look-out-lugols-error-prevention-strategies-strong-iodine-solution. Accessed September 3, 2019.
Updated December 4, 2019 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. Created September 3, 2019 by Leslie Jensen, PharmD, Drug Information Specialist. © 2019, Drug Information Service, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.