Biltricide (praziquantel) Disease Interactions
There are 4 disease interactions with Biltricide (praziquantel):
Praziquantel (Includes Biltricide) ↔ cysticercosis
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility. Applies to: Cysticercosis
Since parasite destruction within the eye can cause irreparable lesions, ocular cysticercosis should not be treated with praziquantel.
- "Product Information. Biltricide (praziquantel)." Bayer, West Haven, CT.
- Bada JL, Trevino B, Cabezos J "Convulsive seizures after treatment with praziquantel." Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 296 (1988): 646
- Markwalder K, Hess K, Valavanis A, Witassek F "Cerebral cysticercosis: treatment with praziquantel. Report of two cases." Am J Trop Med Hyg 33 (1984): 273-80
- Leblanc R, Knowles KF, Melanson D, MacLean JD, Rouleau G, Farmer JP "Neurocysticercosis: surgical and medical management with praziquantel." Neurosurgery 18 (1986): 419-27
- Flisser A, Madrazo I, Plancarte A, Schantz P, Allan J, Craig P, Sarti E "Neurological symptoms in occult neurocysticercosis after single taeniacidal dose of praziquantel." Lancet 342 (1993): 748
Praziquantel (Includes Biltricide) ↔ epilepsy
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Seizures
Praziquantel can exacerbate central nervous system pathology due to schistosomiasis. As a general rule this drug should not be administered in individuals with a history of epilepsy or seizures and any other signs of potential central nervous system involvement such as subcutaneous nodules suggestive of cysticercosis.
Praziquantel (Includes Biltricide) ↔ arrhythmias
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Arrhythmias
Patients suffering from cardiac irregularities such as arrhythmias should be monitored during treatment with praziquantel.
Praziquantel (Includes Biltricide) ↔ liver impairment
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility. Applies to: Liver Disease
Caution should be exercised when administering praziquantel at the usual recommended doses in patients with moderate to severe liver impairment (Child Pugh class B and C). Reduced metabolism of praziquantel may lead to considerably higher and longer lasting plasma concentrations of the unmetabolized drug.
Biltricide (praziquantel) drug interactions
There are 84 drug interactions with Biltricide (praziquantel)
Biltricide (praziquantel) alcohol/food interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Biltricide (praziquantel)
More about Biltricide (praziquantel)
- Biltricide Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: anthelmintics
- FDA Alerts (1)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.