User Reviews for Azacitidine

Also known as: Vidaza

Learn more about Azacitidine.

Myelodysplastic Syndrome 10 reviews 2 medications

6.7
Summary of Azacitidine reviews 10 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Azacitidine

For Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "6th round had severe vomiting on other health issues . Acute Myeloid Leukemia"

Grandpaof7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2016

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with CMML approx 3years ago and treatment of Azacitidine started 17mths ago... It has stopped me from transformation to AML and I even self inject when oncology dept is closed... So once a month I do the subcutaneous injections. My bloods are not too bad at all but once when I was off the azacitidine for five weeks, I was going downhill rapidly approaching AML... I was very lucky to be matched with an unrelated bone marrow donor and was supposed to have the transplant in December 2015 but because my heart is not so good (Atrial Fibrillation) there is concern about it standing up to the trauma of transplant... So I'm really hoping that the azacitidine keeps on doing the business otherwise it may very well be my demise."

Tony Ceg April 3, 2016

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "My husband was diagnosed with MDS, no symptoms. He worked out at gym 5 days a week, had just retired, was enjoying life. At Dr's urging, he started on Vidazia. This was supposed to prevent MDS from going into leukemia and buy time to prepare for bone marrow transplant. He took daily treatments for 5 days, was sick with flulike symptoms, then had breathing complications. The following week, he is in excruiating pain, was hospitalized in ICU FOR 2 weeks, died a horrible death. Pain that no amount of pain meds would control. His last 2 days were in Hospice, so that he could receive the highest doses of narcotics, that can only be administered at end of life. Death certificate read " multi organ failure ". Vidazia destroyed his internal organs"

Joyneil (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

For Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "Due to start second cycle of injections. Still get hot flush (blasting), headaches, extreme fatigue, very sore bones as well as difficulty in sleeping. I was diagnosed with CMML approx 2 yrs ago and now at next stage phase 2. The azacitidine is a 6 month trial and if not positive in results then its a bone marrow transplant. Fingers crossed."

tony in oz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "Injection site sore for weeks. If in belly, get it beyond belt line. If in underarm, get injections 2 in apart. Day 1, little effect, day 3 start of weakness, day 5 make sure couch fits. 3 days after last injection, start of recovery. Day 5, 2 pints of blood does wonders, day 14 after injection, just hanging on. Maybe another blood pint to help, Day 1, oh gosh here we go again. no vomiting, just strength crashing."

jcsarge April 15, 2014

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "Vidaza worked very well and only side effect was some minor constipation cured with softener and milk of magnesia."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2013

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "My dad had MLS and then evolved into Leukemia (AML). He had traditional chemotherapy but had severe complications. He is going into his 4th cycle of Vidaza and he is doing great. His blood cells counts are lower some days of the month but they recover almost to normal. He had trouble with platelets. At the start he had a lot of transfusions (by now he has almost had 200) but in the last months had been fewer, a lot fewer. And the doctor considers that Vidaza starts working after 6th cycle so his platelet count will increase. The doctor considered bone marrow transplant but he decided that since he is in total remission and doing well with Vidaza they will wait until 9th cycle and decide then. He has no side effects but a little fatigue."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2012

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Luekemia in May of 2011. I have been having chemo with Vidaza. I have the seven day treatments every four weeks. I am in remission as of September 2011. The strange side effect is the I no longer have psoriasis, which I have had for 50 years. My skin is now clear and has the appearance of the skin of a twenty year old."

silveredo2comcast.net November 4, 2011

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "I have just started my 2nd month of 7 days of injections. I have had no adverse reactions, except the injection sights get very red and later peel. My white blood cells went down and then started back up. My platelets and hemoglobin are quite low but so far no blood transfusions. I am told each time they will make white blood cells go lower."

Anonymous September 26, 2009

Vidaza (azacitidine) for Myelodysplastic Syndrome: "I have taken it for 4 months so far. It is now down to 5 days instead of 7 per month. The shots are painful in several ways. Went to IV after a couple months. The only good result I've had so far is no transfusions. In the fourth month I developed flu like symptoms despite constant vigilance. I have been down for 9 days with this."

john w May 17, 2009