User Reviews for Atovaquone / proguanil

Malaria Prevention
5.7

Summary of Atovaquone/proguanil reviews 5.8 30 reviews

Reviews for Atovaquone/proguanil

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I was fine taking this medication when I was in Africa but a year later, I’ve been having all sort of health issues. I finally went to see the infectious disease doctor and she informed me my neuropathy, (involving seizures now) GI problems, memory problems, confusion, and other problems are from taking this drug. The dosage was way too high for somebody my size she said. I weigh about 116 and am 28 years old. I’ve never had problems before. Research before you take something. Oh, my neuropathy? Will reverse on its own or I’ll probably have to live with it for the rest of my life!"

Tea (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2018

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Took for 10 days for a 3 day visit to Kruger National Park. Was totally bricking it after readying all the scare stories. Zero side effects. No nausea, no weird dreams, nothing. Took with breakfast, including dairy."

James (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

For Malaria Prevention: "I envy people who rated 10. I am an unlucky one. I took one for the first time today to prepare for a Peru-Amazon River trip. I got sick immediately: shortness of breath, stomach ache, nausea, and overall weakness. I've been in bed all day. I don't have the courage to take the second one. Forget about Peru. I just want to feel normal."

Puff (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I experienced quite a few side effects over the longer term that left me in quite a depressed state. Worst of which being heavy lethargy, racing heart anxiety and depression after using for several shorter trips. For me it's not so bad shorter term but certainly wasn't great in the longer term. My Doctor said to stop taking the drug and generally after a couple of weeks I felt fine again. From my experience I would be cautious and more aware with future use as I know it can effect my moods and cause me to feel extremely tired."

Matt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I was so scared to take these after all the bad reviews. I was in South Africa with a group and we were 8 people taking malarone and we were all without side effects luckily. We always took the tablet after eating and only for 14 days. but it was all fine :)"

cbgaja February 8, 2018

For Malaria Prevention: "I started on this medication preventatively, two days before going to Cambodia and Thailand ,through the 21 days I was away, and another 7 days till the pills were finished. Two days after completion, I broke out in hives I also had the following other symptoms: elevated temperature, nausea, sore throat, body aches, exhaustion and swelling. After an evening & day of itchy hives, I went to Urgent Care. I was told I was having a "systemic reaction to an allergen".10 days later and I am still suffering from all the ill effects. My PCP diagnosed me with an allergic reaction to the malarial medication, and started me on two medications to combat the symptoms. He obviously had seen this before. Horrible medication."

SBWSWSW (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I found this drug tough to handle and have one more day to go. I took this for a trip to Peruvian Amazon. I and another traveller had sleep problems taking it at night. That was remedied by taking it with full fat yogurt after breakfast. However I have had days of nausea and stomach cramps. I am assuming after I finish the post Amazon 7-day course, I will return to normal. Tougher than I expected. I know many people who have taken his drug with no ill effects. Just depends on your constitution."

Research Queen (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I'm participating in a research trial where you take 4 Malarone tablets a day for 3 consecutive days prior to your trip which theoretically covers you for Malaria (I hope) - this is all being monitored by a doctor. I read these reviews trying to see what sort of side effects I'd experience due to my large dose and I was ready for the worst, then...... Nothing. I took 4 tablets in one go - and nothing. I can only assume this affects different people in different ways but I'd recommend eating the fattiest food you can find prior to taking the pills because I think that saved me (I ate a McDonald's quarter pounder)."

Lauren from Australia August 28, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Do not take this medicine. After returning from a week long trip to Haiti, I was constantly nauseous, dizzy, had brain fogginess and was fatigue to the point that I couldn't even get through a day of work. I was 20 at the time and had never had any health problems. I also experienced severe depression. It was very scary as I had never struggled with any type of mental health issues prior to taking this drug. I went to multiple doctors after my trip trying to figure out what was wrong, and it took at least a month to realize it was from this medicine. At the time I read from other reviews that some users experienced the same symptoms . Two years later I am 22 now and from time to time have trouble with dizziness, nauseousness, fatigue, etc."

7 day trip to Haiti (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Took this for 10 days during a trip to S. America. No side effects. Realized as the rest of my group experienced episodes of stomach distress and I had none that this anti-parasite was probably helping there too. No complaints!"

Mikekell April 10, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria: "Fantastic drug for my lyme disease ! I was having night sweats constantly and within 2 doses , they stopped ."

Mark E. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria: "I'm usually pretty tolerant of drugs, but this one was awful! Hot and cold flashes, sweating, abdominal cramps, headaches.The tablet form was much better. The scariest side effect for both forms for me is that my period stopped for 3 months and I've never had any variation with that kind of thing. Felt like I was going through menopause even though I'm very young."

18229283951y February 2, 2017

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "After taking the 2nd pill I developed raised red welts on my neck, shoulders and upper chest. I immediately stopped taking Malarone. The next day the raised welts were replaced by another rash where the skin was cracked, dry and felt hot to touch....like a bad burn. After a week of the new rash continuing to spread I went to the emergency room. I was immediately put on predisone and I was told if my rash continued to spread and develop blisters I would then need to seek immediate emergency medical treatment. I was endanger of developing Steven-Johnson Syndrome. It has been four weeks since I first took this drug. The rash is gone and my skin has peeled but I am now being tested systemic damage/ liver damage."

Karen8252 (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2016

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I take low dose aspirin and after several days on malarone - I developed small bruises all over my extremities. I stopped taking the aspirin and the bruising cleared up."

CM46 June 29, 2016

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Be advised that any medication can have averse reactions on anybody. My experience with Malarone was when I traveled to Cambodia for 2 weekw. It took about a day before it started but Malarone completely incapacitated me with a constant level of nausea. I could not eat nor was it worth leaving the hotel because I was weakened by it. l, too, had to discontinue its use for the entire trip, completely soaked in deet instead. It would be advisable to try malaria medicine several days before you leave for a trip to any questionable location. Ironically, in the middle of 105° F temperatures,in November, in full sleeves and pants, I never encountered a single mosquito."

eubean (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "When I tried Malarone around 2007, I became nauseous, stomach hurt, I could not eat at all and could not get out of the hotel. I had to stop the medication because I could not enjoy the vacation. However, in 2015 on another trip, I was given the generic version of Malarone. I felt fine during the whole stay and felt fine after the 7 days after the trip ended. While my friend, on the other hand, tried the brand name Malarone version and started to feel nauseous, swollen during the first day of the trip and had to stop. What do I encourage you to do? Please try the generic version of Malarone - Atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride."

No Nickname already in use April 14, 2016

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I traveled to Sierra Leone with my two-and-half year old son in 2005. He and I took Malarone. He broke out in hives that required medical attention and I experienced severe dizziness and bad dreams. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone. We were immediately taken off Malarone and put on Daraprim which worked fine as we stayed there for six weeks and we never got sick."

Sierra Leone traveller (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: ".Scariest drug reaction I have ever had. Started with being awakened by difficulty breathing (middle of night). took some antihistamines, and tried slow controlled breaths; then used an inhaler. Frequent urination (really frequent with some leakage!). By morning had sores in mouth from the swelling, red tissues in mouth, swollen eyelids, lips and face. Started a fever which went up to 103, Then got big leopard spots all over (why not, in Africa?) a pharmacist in our group insisted this must be anything but the Malarone because even he and his wife were taking it.!!! Don't listen to people like that, almost continued to take it. Horrible experience, quit it and did not get malaria which would have been preferable."

lilan (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2015

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I would only take malarone, knowing that the FDA recently put a black box warning on mefloquine, but malarone is really messing me up. I live in Africa and will be for the next couple of years. Malarone is causing me to have horrific insomnia, some hallucinations and muscle contractions. My stomach pain I can deal with along with the back pain. The insomnia is killing me, though. I can't work, I walk around like a zombie. I'm going to take my chances with malaria. No more pills for me."

The hallucinator (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2015

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Back pain Lethargic Pains in right leg Short of breath Sense of sadness Diarohea"

Cmcs (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2015

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria: "Highly recommend but very expensive."

lauralauretta March 27, 2015

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "This will be my third time on Malarone . Never had any side effects and even though I missed days taking it....no problems at all."

mountaintopf (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2014

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I have taken Malarone on the last 6 trips to Papua New Guinea jungle area and also Liberia Africa with good results. I am very well satisfied with it as a prophylaxis and treatment also."

Hauna (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2013

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "Malarone is as safe as you can get. I have used it for 12 months without any symptom at all from the medicine or the parasite. My wife has taken it for 7 months and likewise no problem at all. The best part, while 12 colleagues have fallen and become hospitalized with the prevailing malaria in West Africa they were not taking any anti-malarial."

rettga (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2013

Malarone (atovaquone / proguanil) for Malaria Prevention: "I have been taking Malarone for the past 6 weeks while in Zambia. I take it after meals in the evening. I can't say I have had any noticeable side effects at all. Whether it is effective against getting Malaria only time will tell, I am here for another 5 weeks. I also use a net, repellent, etc."

cosmic1052 December 18, 2011