Skip to main content

Warfarin Toxicity

Medically reviewed by Last updated on May 6, 2024.

What is warfarin toxicity?

Warfarin toxicity happens when you have too much warfarin in your body. Certain changes to foods and medicines can also increase the effect of warfarin. Warfarin is a medicine that is used to prevent or treat the formation of blot clots. It works by making your blood clot more slowly. Warfarin toxicity can cause bleeding that can become life-threatening.

What increases my risk for warfarin toxicity?

What are the signs and symptoms of warfarin toxicity?

How do I safely take warfarin?

What else should I do while I am taking warfarin?

Wear medical alert jewelry or carry a card that says you take warfarin. Ask where to get these items.

Medical Alert Jewelry

What should I do if I think I or someone I know took too much warfarin?

Call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 immediately.

When should I seek immediate care?

When should I contact my healthcare provider?

Care Agreement

You have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your healthcare providers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.

© Copyright Merative 2024 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes.

Learn more about Warfarin Toxicity

Care guides

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.