This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Tobacco stomatitis, or smoker's palate, is inflammation of mucus membranes on the roof of your mouth. A combination of harmful chemicals in tobacco and intense heat irritates the mucus membranes. This causes sores to form on the roof of your mouth. Tobacco stomatitis is most common in people who smoke pipes or who reverse smoke (inhale from the lit end of a cigarette).
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have new or worsening sores in your mouth, or other symptoms develop.
- You have trouble eating or drinking because of the sores.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or use nicotine products. Tobacco and nicotine products can also increase your risk for other health conditions, such as lung and heart disease. E-cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, and similar products still contain nicotine. Ask your healthcare provider for information if you need help to quit smoking or using nicotine products.
- Do not drink hot liquids. Hot liquids can make tobacco stomatitis worse. Let liquids cool before you drink them.
- Visit your dentist every 6 months for cleaning and preventive care.
For more information and support to quit smoking:
Phone: 1- 800 - 784-8669
Web Address: www.smokefree.gov
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.