This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Soft Cervical Collar
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A soft cervical collar is a device that helps prevent movement of your neck. It is made of soft foam, wraps around your neck, and fastens in the back.
How to use your soft cervical collar:
Ask how long you should wear your soft cervical collar. As your pain gets better, you may be able to remove the collar for a short time each day. This time will increase until you no longer need the collar. Do the following to put on your soft cervical collar:
- Look straight ahead and keep your chin parallel to the floor.
- Fit the collar snugly around your neck.
- Attach the fasteners at the back of your neck.
- Make sure that you can breathe comfortably.
- If the collar feels too tight, remove it and put it on again.
- Put cotton padding between the collar and your skin if the collar irritates your skin.
Prevent neck pain or injury:
- Limit activity: This may help decrease your pain and swelling. Ask your healthcare provider when you can return to your normal daily activities.
- Support your neck while you sleep: You may need to sleep without a pillow if you sleep with your collar on. Make sure your pillow is comfortable and supports your head and neck if you sleep without a collar. You may need a special neck pillow. You may be more comfortable on a firm mattress.
- Support your neck and back if you sit most of the day: Keep your computer monitor at eye level. Place documents you are reading into a holder at eye level. Use a headset when you talk on the telephone.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your arm or hand is numb, tingles, or is weak.
- You have questions or concerns about how to use your soft cervical collar.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have severe pain.
- You cannot move your arm or hand.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.