This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A sacral fracture is a break in your sacrum. The sacrum is a triangle-shaped bone that is found at the bottom of the spine.
Seek care immediately or call 911 if:
- Your leg tingles or feels like pins are being stuck in it.
- Your leg feels numb or weak.
- You have problems controlling your urine or bowel movements.
- Your leg feels warm, tender, and painful. It may look swollen and red.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have pain or swelling in your low back area, hip, or buttock that gets worse.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Rest when you feel it is needed. Slowly start to do more each day. Return to your daily activities as directed. Use a pillow when you sit to decrease the pressure on your sacrum.
- Pain medicine may be given to decrease pain. Do not wait until the pain is severe before you take this medicine.
- NSAIDs , such as ibuprofen, help decrease swelling, pain, and fever. This medicine is available with or without a doctor's order. NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding or kidney problems in certain people. If you take blood thinner medicine, always ask if NSAIDs are safe for you. Always read the medicine label and follow directions. Do not give these medicines to children under 6 months of age without direction from your child's healthcare provider.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
A physical therapist teaches you exercises to help improve movement and strength, and to decrease pain.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.