This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A pilonidal cyst is a small sac under the skin. Pilonidal cysts may become infected and cause an abscess (collection of pus).
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- Your cyst is red and swollen.
- Your cyst has pus draining from it.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Prevent an infection:
- Shave around the cyst. This will prevent hairs from entering the cyst. Your healthcare provider may recommend laser hair removal.
- Clean the cyst area as directed. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you use a mild soap and rinse it well.
- Do not sit for long periods of time. This may cause the cyst to get irritated.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2018 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.