This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A pilonidal cyst is a small sac under the skin. Pilonidal cysts may become infected and cause an abscess (collection of pus).
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- Your cyst is red and swollen.
- Your cyst has pus draining from it.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Prevent an infection:
- Shave around the cyst. This will prevent hairs from entering the cyst. Your healthcare provider may recommend laser hair removal.
- Clean the cyst area as directed. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you use a mild soap and rinse it well.
- Do not sit for long periods of time. This may cause the cyst to get irritated.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.