This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
is inflammation or infection of one or both of your testicles.
Common signs and symptoms include the following:
- Pain in one or both testicles
- Swelling of one or both testicles
- Tenderness in your groin, lower abdomen, or scrotum
- Nausea and vomiting
Seek care immediately if:
- You have severe pain in your testicles, even after you take pain medicine.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a hot, red, tender area on your testicles.
- Your symptoms do not get better within 3 days of treatment or come back after treatment.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
for orchitis depends on the cause of your orchitis. You may need any of the following:
- Medicine can help decrease pain or swelling. You may also need medicine to treat a bacterial infection.
- NSAIDs , such as ibuprofen, help decrease swelling, pain, and fever. This medicine is available with or without a doctor's order. NSAIDs can cause stomach bleeding or kidney problems in certain people. If you take blood thinner medicine, always ask if NSAIDs are safe for you. Always read the medicine label and follow directions. Do not give these medicines to children under 6 months of age without direction from your child's healthcare provider.
- Apply ice on your testicles for 15 to 20 minutes every hour or as directed. Use an ice pack, or put crushed ice in a plastic bag. Cover it with a towel. Ice helps prevent tissue damage and decreases swelling and pain.
- Rest in bed as directed. Lying down will help to keep your scrotum elevated.
- Scrotal support may be recommended. An athletic supporter provides scrotal support and may make you more comfortable when you stand. Ask your healthcare provider how to use an athletic supporter.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.