This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
, or thrush, is a fungal infection that affects the inside of your mouth.
Common symptoms include the following:
- White or whitish-yellow patches in the mouth that look like milk curds
- Redness or bleeding under the patches
- Sore and painful mouth, with cracking or tearing on the corners
- Bright red tongue that may feel like it is burning
- Trouble swallowing and tasting
- Swelling under dentures
Seek care immediately if:
- You have trouble swallowing and your jaw and neck are stiff.
- You are dizzy, thirsty, or have a dry mouth.
- You are urinating little or not at all.
- You cannot eat or drink because of the pain.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever.
- You have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
- Your signs and symptoms get worse, even after treatment.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Treatment for oral candidiasis
includes antifungal medicine that helps kill the fungus that caused your oral candidiasis. This medicine may be a pill or a solution that you gargle. Remove dentures before you gargle.
Prevent oral candidiasis:
Brush your teeth, gums, and tongue after you eat and before you go to sleep. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles. See your dentist for regular exams. Remove your dentures when you sleep, or at least 6 hours each day. Clean your dentures and soak them in denture cleaner. Let them air dry after soaking.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.