This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Mouth Care For Jaw Wiring
after jaw wiring is important to help you prevent infections and tooth decay. You may need to wait 24 hours after jaw surgery before you can do mouth care. You will then need to brush and rinse your mouth often to prevent problems until the wires are removed.
Brush your teeth:
- Brush your teeth after each meal. Also brush before you go to bed.
- Use a soft toothbrush. Adults may be able to brush more easily with a child-sized toothbrush.
- Pull your cheek out with your finger. This will make it easier to fit the toothbrush in your mouth.
- Move the toothbrush in circles on the front of your teeth. This will get the most tooth area.
Rinse your mouth:
- Your healthcare provider may recommend a solution to use.
- You may instead be able to use warm salt water. To make salt water, add ½ teaspoon (tsp) to 8 ounces of warm water.
- Swish solution or salt water around in your mouth for 1 minute. Then spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth each time you brush your teeth.
- Brush your teeth again after you rinse your mouth.
Use a water flosser as directed:
A water flosser is a machine that sprays water between your teeth. It can help you clean in between the arch bars of your wires. Put warm water into the machine. Use the lowest setting. Go slowly from tooth to tooth. This will help make sure you do not miss anything between your teeth.
Protect your cheeks and lips:
- Put dental wax on the ends of the wires if they poke your cheeks. Dental wax is available without a doctor's order. Always remove the wax before you brush your teeth.
- Apply petroleum jelly to your lips to help prevent dry or chapped lips.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.