This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
How might a knee immobilizer help me?
A knee immobilizer limits knee movement. It is used after an injury or surgery to help your knee, muscles, or tendons heal.
How do I safely use a knee immobilizer?
- Have your knee immobilizer fitted by your healthcare provider. It is important that your knee immobilizer is the right size for you and that it fits properly.
- Wear your knee immobilizer as directed. It can be worn over your clothing. Check the fit of the knee immobilizer often. If it does not fit properly or slips out of place, it could cause further injury.
- Use crutches as directed. You may need to avoid putting weight on your injured leg. Your healthcare provider will tell you if you need crutches and for how long.
- Inspect your knee immobilizer often. Do not wear your knee immobilizer if it is damaged or broken. You may need to replace it if it becomes worn.
- Ask your healthcare provider how to care for your knee immobilizer. You may be able to hand wash the fabric with mild soap and water. Do not place it in the washer or dryer.
- Go to physical therapy as directed. A physical therapist can help you strengthen the muscles in your leg and help your knee heal.
When should I contact my healthcare provider?
- Your knee pain becomes worse when you wear your knee immobilizer.
- Your skin is sore or raw after you wear your knee immobilizer.
- Your leg feels numb or swells while you wear your knee immobilizer.
- Your knee immobilizer is damaged.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
When should I seek immediate care or call 911?
- You have severe swelling or pain in your leg or knee.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.