Full Liquid Diet
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 6, 2023.
What is a full liquid diet?
A full liquid diet includes only liquids and foods that are liquid at room temperature. You may need to follow this diet if you have trouble chewing or swallowing. You may also need to follow this diet if you have a severe intestinal illness or had surgery on your intestine. Your healthcare provider will tell you how long to follow this diet and when to start solid foods.
Which liquids and foods can I have?
- Fruit juices or pureed fruit without seeds
- Vegetable juices or pureed vegetables in broth
- Broth or strained cream soups
- Refined and strained cooked cereals thinned with milk or half-and-half creamer
- Flavored gelatin without chunks of fruit
- Plain ice cream, milk shakes, sherbet, or popsicles
- Yogurt, pudding, or soft custard
- Milk or liquid nutrition supplements
- Coffee, tea, sodas, water, or sports drinks
- Butter, margarine, or cream
What else do I need to know about a full liquid diet?
- You may need nutrition supplements if you will be on this diet for more than 5 to 7 days. The full liquid diet does not provide all the nutrients, vitamins, minerals, or calories that your body needs.
- Choose lactose-free liquids if you are lactose intolerant. Examples include acidophilus milk, lactose-free milk, soy milk, or lactose-free liquid nutrition supplements.
- You may need other diet changes if you have another medical condition such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or heart disease. For example, you may need to choose sugar-free, low-sodium, or low-fat foods as part of your full liquid diet.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Discuss treatment options with your healthcare provider to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© Copyright Merative 2023 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes.
Learn more about Full Liquid Diet
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.