This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Ear Foreign Body
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
An ear foreign body is an object that is stuck in your ear. Foreign bodies are usually trapped in the outer ear canal. This is the tube from the opening of your ear to your eardrum.
- Steroid cream: This medicine helps decrease redness and swelling.
- Antibiotics: This medicine is given to help treat or prevent an infection caused by bacteria.
- Take your medicine as directed. Call your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider or otolaryngologist as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider or otolaryngologist if:
- You have a fever.
- You have trouble hearing, or you hear ringing.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have severe ear pain.
- You have pus or blood draining from your ear.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.