This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Bone Marrow Biopsy
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
A bone marrow biopsy is a procedure to remove a small amount of bone marrow from your bone. Bone marrow is the soft tissue inside your bone that helps to make blood cells. Bone marrow biopsies are usually done on the pelvic bone. The sample is tested for disease or infection.
Seek care immediately if:
- You have severe pain in the biopsy area.
- Blood soaks through your bandage.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You have a fever or chills.
- Your biopsy area is red, swollen, or draining pus.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Acetaminophen decreases pain and fever. It is available without a doctor's order. Ask how much to take and how often to take it. Follow directions. Acetaminophen can cause liver damage if not taken correctly.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
- Rest as directed. Do not lift heavy objects or do intense exercise for a few days after the procedure. Ask your healthcare provider when you can return to your daily activities.
- Care for your biopsy area as directed. You will need to keep the biopsy area dry and covered with a bandage for 24 to 48 hours. Do not take a shower or bath, or get into a hot tub or swimming pool for 24 to 48 hours after your procedure.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.