This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Blurred Vision, Ambulatory Care
is when you cannot see fine details. You may have blurred vision if you are nearsighted or farsighted and you need glasses.
Common causes include the following:
- Scratch or open sore on your cornea
- Contact with a chemical
- A foreign object
- An infection
- Medical conditions, such as diabetes, cataracts, or glaucoma
- Trauma, such as a concussion
Seek immediate care for the following symptoms:
- Weakness in an arm or leg, difficulty speaking or seeing, and a severe headache
- Fever, eye pain, or discharge
- Sudden loss of vision
Manage your blurred vision:
Your healthcare provider may ask you to do any of the following:
- Use artificial tears to keep your eye moist or to soothe your irritated eye.
- Apply a cool compress to decrease any swelling or pain. Wet a clean washcloth with cool water and place it on your eye. Use the cool compress as often as directed.
- Wear an eye patch as directed to protect your eye.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
You may need other eye exams and medicines. Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.