This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Blepharitis is inflammation of one or both eyelids. Your eyelid, eyelashes, oil glands, or whites of the eye may be affected.
- Medicines can help decrease pain and swelling, or treat an infection.
- Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Care for your eyelid:
Always wash your hands with soap and water before and after eye care:
- Use artificial tears twice a day if you have dry eye.
- Apply a warm compress for 10 minutes once a day to loosen crusts and to decrease itching and burning.
- Gently scrub your upper and lower eyelid with 2 to 3 drops of baby shampoo in ½ cup warm water 2 times a day. This will help open your clogged oil glands and remove pus or other material stuck to your eyelid.
- Massage your upper and lower eyelid in small circles for 5 seconds to loosen oil plugs and to decrease inflammation.
- Do not wear contact lenses or eye makeup until your eye has healed.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- Your vision changes.
- Your signs and symptoms get worse, even after treatment.
- Your signs and symptoms return.
- You have a lump on your eyelid.
- You have a pus-filled sore on your eyelid.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have severe pain.
- You have vision loss.
© 2016 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.