Skip to Content



Azoospermia is a condition that prevents a man from having sperm in his semen. It is a major cause of male subfertility. Subfertility is a condition that prevents a man from getting a woman pregnant after 1 year of unprotected regular sex. This means that no birth control methods, such as birth control pills, diaphragms, condoms, or the rhythm method, have been used.


Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:

Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.


  • Avoid chemicals. Chemicals, such as pesticides, may lower your sperm count.
  • Reduce alcohol intake. Alcohol decreases sperm production.
  • Do not smoke. If you smoke, it is never too late to quit. Nicotine may affect the condition of your semen. Ask your healthcare provider for information if you need help quitting.
  • Do not take hot baths or wear tight underwear. Heat decreases sperm production. Tight underwear, such as briefs, keeps testicles close to the body. This can increase their temperature and decrease sperm production.

Contact your healthcare provider if:

  • You have a fever.
  • You have chills or feel weak and achy.
  • You see changes in your body, such as increased body fat, body hair, or breast tissue.
  • You have pain in the groin area that does not go away.
  • You have an abnormal discharge from your penis.
  • You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.

Ā© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotesĀ® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health

The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.

Learn more about Azoospermia (Aftercare Instructions)

IBM Watson Micromedex

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.