Skip to Content

Alcohol Use Disorder


Alcohol use disorder (AUD) is problem drinking. AUD includes alcohol abuse and alcohol dependency.


Seek care immediately if:

  • Your heart is beating faster than usual.
  • You have hallucinations.
  • You cannot remember what happens while you are drinking.
  • You have seizures.

Contact your healthcare provider if:

  • You are anxious and have nausea.
  • Your hands are shaky and you are sweating heavily.
  • You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.

Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:

Do not try to stop drinking on your own. Your healthcare provider may need to help you withdraw from alcohol safely. He may need to admit you to the hospital. You may also need any of the following treatments:

  • Medicines to decrease your craving for alcohol
  • Support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Therapy from a psychiatrist or psychologist
  • Admission to an inpatient facility for treatment for severe AUD

For support and more information:

  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
    PO Box 2345
    Rockville , MD 20847-2345
    Web Address:
  • Alcoholics Anonymous
    Web Address:

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.