This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Alcohol Use Disorder
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Alcohol use disorder (AUD) is problem drinking. AUD includes alcohol abuse and alcohol dependency.
Seek care immediately if:
- Your heart is beating faster than usual.
- You have hallucinations.
- You cannot remember what happens while you are drinking.
- You have seizures.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You are anxious and have nausea.
- Your hands are shaky and you are sweating heavily.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Do not try to stop drinking on your own. Your healthcare provider may need to help you withdraw from alcohol safely. He may need to admit you to the hospital. You may also need any of the following treatments:
- Medicines to decrease your craving for alcohol
- Support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous
- Therapy from a psychiatrist or psychologist
- Admission to an inpatient facility for treatment for severe AUD
For support and more information:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
PO Box 2345
Rockville , MD 20847-2345
Web Address: http://www.samhsa.gov
- Alcoholics Anonymous
Web Address: http://www.aa.org
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2018 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Learn more about Alcohol Use Disorder (Discharge Care)
IBM Watson Micromedex
- Abuse of Alcohol
- Alcohol Dependence
- Alcohol Dependence and Withdrawal
- Alcohol Intoxication
- Alcohol Use Disorder
- At-risk Alcohol Use