This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Activated charcoal is an emergency medicine given to someone who has swallowed certain poisons. It is given through a tube that runs from your nose to your stomach. Activated charcoal binds to the poison so your body cannot absorb it. The poison leaves your body with the charcoal when you have a bowel movement.
If someone has been poisoned:
Call 911 immediately if the person is not awake or alert. Call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 if the person is alert. You will need to provide information about the poison that was swallowed. You will get instructions on what to do next. Do not take or give charcoal to someone unless directed to by the poison control center or a healthcare provider.
Prevent poisoning in the home:
- Keep all poisons out of the reach of children. Lock medicines, cleaning products, antifreeze, and other dangerous items away so children cannot get them. Keep purses or diaper bags that contain medicines out of the reach of children. Do not leave children alone with cleaning products or medicines that you are using.
- Close medicine bottles tightly after you use them. Keep medicine in the bottle it came in so that no one will take it by mistake.
- Throw away unused medicine. Do not keep these medicines to be used later.
- Teach your child about poisons in the home and why it is important to stay away from them. Do not call medicine candy or take medicine in front of children.
Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
Contact your healthcare provider if:
- You are unable to have a bowel movement.
- You continue to vomit.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
Return to the emergency department if:
- You have blood in your bowel movements.
- You choke on activated charcoal and have trouble breathing.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.