Generic name: Vitamin E Cream, Gel, Liquid, Lotion, Oil, and Ointment (VYE ta min ee)
Brand name: Gordons-Vite E, Vitamin E Beauty, Vitec, Xtra-Care
Drug class: Miscellaneous topical agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 22, 2020.
Uses of Xtra-Care:
- It is used to moisturize skin.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Xtra-Care?
- If you are allergic to Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment); any part of Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xtra-Care?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Xtra-Care) best taken?
Use Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and rub in gently.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Skin irritation.
What are some other side effects of Xtra-Care?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xtra-Care?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Xtra-Care (vitamin E cream, gel, liquid, lotion, oil, and ointment), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about vitamin e topical
- Other brands
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.