Generic Name: potassium chloride (po-TAS-ee-um KLOR-ide)
Brand Name: Examples include Kaon and Rum-K
Rum-K liquid is used for:
Treating or preventing low potassium blood levels when the amount of potassium in the diet is inadequate. Low potassium levels may also be caused by some diseases, severe or prolonged vomiting or diarrhea, or certain medicines (eg, diuretics). Symptoms of low potassium levels include weakness, fatigue, or weakening of reflexes.
Rum-K liquid is an electrolyte that is needed for normal functioning of cells, nerve conduction, muscle contraction, kidney function, and acid-base balance.
Do NOT use Rum-K liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Rum-K liquid
- you have a high potassium level
- you are taking a potassium-sparing diuretic (eg, triamterene)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Rum-K liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Rum-K liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a high acidity of your body fluids (acidosis), adrenal gland problems, diarrhea, kidney problems, or severe burns
- if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Rum-K liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aldosterone blockers (eg, spironolactone), angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because the risk of high blood potassium levels may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Rum-K liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Rum-K liquid:
Use Rum-K liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Rum-K liquid may cause stomach upset. Take Rum-K liquid by mouth with food or after meals.
- The liquid must be diluted before using. The package label will advise the minimum amount (eg, 4 oz) of cold water, juice, or other beverage to mix with the liquid. After thoroughly mixing, drink slowly over a 5- to 10-minute period.
- Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Rum-K liquid.
- If you miss a dose of Rum-K liquid, take it if you remember within 2 hours. If it is more than 2 hours since your missed dose, skip it and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Rum-K liquid.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Too much or too little potassium can adversely affect the heart. Be sure that your doctor and pharmacist are aware of any heart medications you are taking.
- This product may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Lab tests, including blood electrolytes and kidney function, may be performed while you use Rum-K liquid. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Rum-K liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Rum-K liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Rum-K liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Rum-K liquid, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Rum-K liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abnormal skin sensation; confusion; diarrhea; listlessness; nausea; stomach discomfort; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); abnormal heartbeat; black, tarry stools; chest pain; heaviness in the legs; indigestion; irregular heartbeat; severe vomiting; stomach pain; tingling in the hands and feet; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; limp muscles; listlessness; muscle weakness or paralysis; slow or difficult breathing.Proper storage of Rum-K liquid:
Store Rum-K liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly-closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Rum-K liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Rum-K liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Rum-K liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Rum-K liquid or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Rum-K liquid. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Rum-K liquid. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Rum-K liquid.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Rum-K (potassium chloride)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes