Generic Name: pegademase bovine (peg-AD-e-mase BOE-vine)
Brand Name: Adagen
Pegademase bovine is used for:
Treating severe combined immunodeficiency disease (SCID) in certain patients with adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency.
Pegademase bovine is a modified enzyme. It works by correcting the levels of ADA in the body, which improves immune system function.
Do NOT use pegademase bovine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in pegademase bovine
- you have a severely low blood platelet level
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using pegademase bovine:
Some medical conditions may interact with pegademase bovine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding, other blood conditions (eg, low blood platelets), or purpura
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with pegademase bovine. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- 2'-deoxycoformycin because it may decrease pegademase bovine's effectiveness
- Vidarabine because its effectiveness may be decreased by pegademase bovine
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if pegademase bovine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use pegademase bovine:
Use pegademase bovine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Pegademase bovine is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using pegademase bovine at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use pegademase bovine. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use pegademase bovine if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Continue to use pegademase bovine even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of pegademase bovine, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use pegademase bovine.
Important safety information:
- Pegademase bovine may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Lab tests, including plasma ADA activity and blood cell counts, may be performed while you use pegademase bovine. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using pegademase bovine while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use pegademase bovine, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of pegademase bovine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; pain or redness at the injection site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; severe or persistent tiredness or weakness; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of pegademase bovine:
Pegademase bovine is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using pegademase bovine at home, store pegademase bovine as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep pegademase bovine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about pegademase bovine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Pegademase bovine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take pegademase bovine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about pegademase bovine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to pegademase bovine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using pegademase bovine.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about pegademase bovine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: other immunostimulants
Other brands: Adagen