Castiva Cooling lotion
Generic Name: methyl salicylate/menthol (METH-il sa-LIS-i-late/MEN-thol)
Brand Name: Castiva Cooling
Castiva Cooling lotion is used for:
Temporary relief of minor aches and pains caused by arthritis, simple backache, strains, sprains, and bruises. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Castiva Cooling lotion is a topical analgesic. It works by temporarily relieving minor pain.
Do NOT use Castiva Cooling lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Castiva Cooling lotion, including oil of wintergreen
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Castiva Cooling lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Castiva Cooling lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had an allergic reaction to aspirin or other salicylates
- if you have a wound at the affected area or your skin is broken or damaged in any way
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Castiva Cooling lotion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Castiva Cooling lotion
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Castiva Cooling lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Castiva Cooling lotion:
Use Castiva Cooling lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Do not apply Castiva Cooling lotion to wounds or damaged skin.
- Do not use Castiva Cooling lotion right after you shower or take a bath.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the painful or sore area as directed by your doctor or on the package labeling.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Castiva Cooling lotion.
- You may wash the treated area once the medicine has been absorbed into the skin.
- Do not bandage, wrap, or cover the affected area until after the medicine has been absorbed and you have washed the area. Do not bandage tightly.
- Do not use Castiva Cooling lotion more often than 3 to 4 times per day.
- If you miss a dose of Castiva Cooling lotion, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Castiva Cooling lotion.
Important safety information:
- Castiva Cooling lotion is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, ears, lips, mouth, or genital area. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do not use a heating pad after you apply Castiva Cooling lotion.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use more often than directed without checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Castiva Cooling lotion over large areas of the body without checking with your doctor.
- Do not allow Castiva Cooling lotion to come into contact with clothing or any surface other than skin.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they clear up and then return, check with your doctor.
- Castiva Cooling lotion may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Do not use Castiva Cooling lotion in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Castiva Cooling lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Castiva Cooling lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Castiva Cooling lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Castiva Cooling lotion. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); skin redness or irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Castiva Cooling lotion:
Store Castiva Cooling lotion at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Castiva Cooling lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Castiva Cooling lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Castiva Cooling lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Castiva Cooling lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Castiva Cooling lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Castiva Cooling lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Castiva Cooling lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.