Vincristine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Vincristine: Oncovin, Vincasar PFS
Vincristine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Most sources consider breastfeeding to be contraindicated during maternal antineoplastic drug therapy. It is probably impractical to resume breastfeeding after vincristine therapy because of the drug's long half-life. Chemotherapy may adversely affect the normal microbiome and chemical makeup of breastmilk.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
In a 4-month-old, neutropenia was probably caused by cyclophosphamide in a mother 9 days after the last of 6 weekly doses of 800 mg cyclophosphamide intravenously, 2 mg vincristine intravenously and daily doses of 30 mg of prednisolone orally. Neutropenia persisted at least 12 days and was accompanied by a brief episode of diarrhea. The contribution of vincristine to the neutropenia cannot be determined.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
1. Pistilli B, Bellettini G, Giovannetti E et al. Chemotherapy, targeted agents, antiemetics and growth-factors in human milk: How should we counsel cancer patients about breastfeeding? Cancer Treat Rev. 2013;;39:207-11. PMID: 23199900
2. Urbaniak C, McMillan A, Angelini M et al. Effect of chemotherapy on the microbiota and metabolome of human milk, a case report. Microbiome. 2014;2:24. PMID: 25061513
3. Amato D, Niblett JS. Neutropenia from cyclophosphamide in breast milk. Med J Aust. 1977;1:383-4.
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Last Revision Date
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
More about vincristine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 3 Reviews – Add your own review/rating